Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Hijab For Muslim Women

Tagged: , ,

• Hijab For Muslim Women

Umer updated 2 years, 9 months ago 9 Members · 22 Replies
  • Kifayat Ramzan

Member March 14, 2021 at 8:48 am

Hope the following essay of Ghamidi sb answers your question: –

Head Covering for Women

The Almighty requires of a Muslim woman to not display her make-up or other embellishments such as jewellery before unknown men except what she has adorned her hands, feet and face with. The Qur’an has made it mandatory upon Muslim women to follow this directive. It is for this very reason that the tradition of wearing the head-scarf or head covering while going out of the house was established, and now has become a part of Islamic culture. Even if women have not embellished themselves and have not put on make-up, they have continued to be very vigilant in wearing some sort of head covering. This attitude has also sprung forth from the insinuations of the Qur’an: the Almighty has specified that the directive of covering the chest and neckline with a covering is not related to old women who have passed their marriageable age on the condition that their intention is not to show off their ornaments. The Qur’an says that they can take off this covering before men and that there is no harm in this; however, it has simultaneously stated that what is more desirable in the sight of the Almighty is that they should be careful in this matter too and not take their coverings off their chests. It is evident from this that regarding the head too it is desirable in the sight of the Almighty that even if women have not adorned it in any way, even then they should not take off their head coverings. Although covering the head is not mandatory yet when Muslim women live with a concern for religiosity and try to draw near God, they necessarily take this precaution, and never like to come before unknown men bare-headed.
    (Translated by Dr Shehzad Saleem)

• Nadeem Minhas

Member March 14, 2021 at 9:31 am

Great response from Ghamidi Sahib, but the response is not fully clear. Let me restate what I understood and request a scholar to confirm.

– Islam requires women to hide the entire body if they have beutified any part, except hands, feet and face.

-From Quran verses it can be indirectly inferred that head covering is required all the time too whether hair are beutified or not. This is because Quran allows women to relax their dress code after certain age and obviously Quran is not allowing them to expose their chest and hip area after certain age. Thus Quran is referring to relaxing head covering. That means head covering is required for marriage age women.

Is this correct?

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 14, 2021 at 10:27 am

I do not believe that your second point is in line with Javed Ghamidi’s understanding. I think the following videos, where he comments on the use of “khimar” and general directives for women in mixed gatherings, might help:

https://javedahmedghamidi.org/#!/video/5aabdb51b951cb6c099ea6af

Also, Ghamidi states a point to the contrary of yours in the following video, where he says that
      elderly women have been given the option to let go of the scarf on their chests, but that it would be better if they refrain from doing so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuBdsoqk_n4

• Nadeem Minhas

Member March 14, 2021 at 11:46 am

Brother Hseeb, the video doesn’t state what you stated as a second point.

Letting go of the scarf from the chest is not in the video either. Scarf is not a requirement in the first place, but loose clothes are. Of course elderly women will not wear tight clothes or expose their chest, so the only logical relaxation of rule is to uncover head. That means, the head covering was required or recommended in the first place.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 14, 2021 at 11:51 am

Salam Nadeem, I am referring to 1:15 to 1:20, where Javed Ghamidi says:

“The Quran has allowed the elder and older women to let go of the scarf of their chests but just after this it says if they do not it is better.”

The above statement is a direct quote from the English transcript.

Based on the videos that I have seen in which Ghamidi comments on the Hijab, my understanding is that women are instructed to cover their chest with an outer garment.

Please let me know if I have misinterpreted your point!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuBdsoqk_n4

• Nadeem Minhas

Member March 14, 2021 at 11:17 am

I was trying to restate what I understood from Dr. Shehzad translation.

In my opinion, the spirit of Quran is to curb immorality. So, based on culture what attracts most people in the wrong way should be covered or avoided.

Generally speaking, only hands, feet and face should be uncovered and that is only if these parts are not excessively decorated; except for very light facial makeup. If face has a very heavy makeup, it should be covered too. Heavy makeup never attracts people with good intentions. Also walking certain way or shaking certain body parts is not allowed. In a similar fashion, talking to men with certain manner meant to give some wrong message should be avoided too.

After the child bearing age, maintaining these limits are preferable, but uncovering head is ok.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 14, 2021 at 11:52 am

Oh, I see. Perhaps a moderator can comment on this interpretation to provide us with further clarification!

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 14, 2021 at 5:05 pm

I’m not sure what the confusion is, however, I will state in principle that:

• Head covering is not a requirement in Islam
      • When a woman has embellished herself or is wearing makeup, then in the presence of unknown men she should cover everything except for her hands, feet, and face.
      • Head covering in other instances is desirable, however, it’s not something that a woman will be questioned about.

Ghamidi sahab has explained this issue, has answered every misunderstanding, and responded to every question in this regard in the following series:

Discussion 22603

• Nadeem Minhas

Member March 14, 2021 at 5:25 pm

Faisal. There are two confusions in my mind.

1. Although not required to hide face, but what if a women has heavy makeup. It seems to be of more serious nature than wearing jewelry on the body. If body needs to be covered due to jewelry, why not face with heavy makeup?

2. It is not clear that when older women are allowed to relax their dress code, what part of dress we are talking about.

It sounds logical that relaxation relates to head covering. What Ghamidi Sahib say makes less sense that it is relaxation of shawl or wrap around chest area. As shawl is not commonly worn and covering chest area with a shawl is not required in Islam. Only loose clothes are.

If the relaxation is for head covering, then it means it was required in the first place.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 14, 2021 at 5:41 pm

Heavy and light make up are subjective. There can’t be any generalized legal restrictions regarding such matters.

As for the dress code relaxation of older women, the prerequisite for every person is a modest dress code. This varies in time and space.

Yes head covering is required in the first place, but only under certain conditions which I have already stated above. The relaxation is for such conditions.

For further details please watch the videos that I have shared above.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member March 14, 2021 at 5:50 pm

Faisal, if make up is subjective then decoration or jewelry on the body is subjective too. We can’t have two different rules. Heavy makeup can be more objectively judged as if the person would look completely different from without makeup.

Also makeup is more inviting to male than jewelry on the body.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 14, 2021 at 5:59 pm

We do not have two different rules. Please refer to my responses above and please watch the videos.

• Gumiho Ki

Member May 10, 2021 at 1:32 pm

What I understood by watching Sir Javed Ghamidi videos i will state below.Please correct me if I am wrong as I am weak in English. And I have some questions too.

In the presence of non mahrams ,women :

1.Are not required to cover their hair

2.Should cover area from navel to knees plus from neck to navel and arms till elbow.

3.Can wear make up/jewelleries on hands ,face ,feet.

4.If wear makeup or jewelleries on other part of the body then that part should be covered too (ex:hair,shin)

5.Should cover chest with a scarf even if she do not have make up or jewels on it.

Questions:

A.Can a loose shirt replace the scarf on chest?If yes how loose that shirt should be?Not being stretchy is enough?

B.Can a woman wear trousers wide just as the man wear his trousers it is sufficient to cover awrah in that area?Or it has to be a skirt?

C.Do married women who are at menopause can remove the scarf from chest?

I am a convert and I am so confuse.Please help.me

• Haris Virk

Moderator May 11, 2021 at 3:52 am

@Gumiho The points you understood are correct. These are the essential and obligatory aspects.

As for the questions A and B:

The kinds of dresses we wear vary from culture to culture. The original requirement is that the private parts and adjoining areas should be covered and not highlighted. So, if loose shirt and trousers serve this purpose and ensure that the body parts are not highlighted and do not draw attention, one can wear these.

C: The exemption for the older women is given on the condition that they don’t do it to show their adornments and they no longer have desires, do not enjoy dressing up and showing off, and do not draw attention of men.

Please feel free to create new discussions and ask as many questions as you want to. Wishing you good luck and sending many prayers. Stay blessed!

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 11, 2021 at 5:13 pm

Where does Ghamidi Sabh state that a woman only has to cover up to her knees?

• Haris Virk

Moderator May 11, 2021 at 6:31 pm

That’s the bare minimum requirement of Hifz-e-Furooj i.e., to cover the private parts and their adjoining areas. However, it is recommended to move ahead and cover further. Please refer to the following video from 14:00 to 26:48

https://youtu.be/vJx8K0c7irE?t=840

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 11, 2021 at 6:35 pm

JazakAllah!

• Rohan Hasan

Member July 29, 2021 at 4:29 pm

I have a question regarding the length of the cloth. Ghamidi Sahib said that the minimum covering for women is from the neck to the knee. But there is a hadith from Umm Salamah where Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) orders women to cover their legs and feet.

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said:

“The Messenger of Allah [SAW] said: ‘Whoever drags his garment out of pride, Allah will not look at him.’ Umm Salamah said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, what should women do with their hems?’ He said: ‘Let it down a hand span.’ She said: ‘But then their feet will show.’ He said: ‘Let it down a forearm’s length, but no more than that.'”

https://sunnah.com/nasai:5336

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t this hadith completely contradict Ghamidi Sahib’s view? Because he says that covering upto the knees is the bare minimum, but this hadith is saying that covering upto the feet is the bare minimum?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 29, 2021 at 4:42 pm

Please see:

Discussion 38580

• Rohan Hasan

Member July 29, 2021 at 4:55 pm

I’m sorry because I don’t understand Urdu very well. But the little bit that I could understand is that both he and Dr Shehzad Saleem were talking about men’s cloth in their respective videos, they didn’t talk about women’s legs and feet. And my question is about covering the legs and feet of women.

• Gumiho Ki

Member July 29, 2021 at 5:01 pm

I have a question:based on what sir JG decided the adjoining parts length?What was the reasoning that made him reach this conclusion?Why till knees and not less or more?Why the arms till elbow ?Why till neck ?Thank u

• Umer

Moderator July 31, 2021 at 2:04 pm

Ghamidi Sahab’s understanding is based in Quran’s use of term وَ یَحْفَظْنَ فُرُوْجَھُنَّ (as being covering of parts annexed right next to private parts to ensure proper and complete covering of privates). You can listen to it in detail in the following video from 0:01 to 26:48 (english subtitles are also available):

Discussion 47826 • Reply 47836

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register