Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Permissibility Of Meditation And Yoga For Spirituality

• Permissibility Of Meditation And Yoga For Spirituality

Posted by Sukaina Sumair on March 19, 2021 at 4:47 pm

I’m really interested in meditation/yoga and reading about spirituality in different parts of the world. Something about this belief system or way of life makes a lot of sense to me, and I have been able to link it to islam too. This further strengthened my religious belief, however I’m not sure if I’m wrong for doing that or if spirituality and religion should be kept separate to an extent?

I personally believe spirituality is your connection with God and this universe but Islam gives you the guidelines to this life and the afterlife. Holy prophet (saw) also meditated in the cave of hira, which makes me believe he was fully enlightened (in terms of spirituality) even before Islam was revealed on him. Do you think there’s a possible link between ancient mediation/spiritual teachings and Islam? Can I follow both these teachings simultaneously?

Also, I’ve read many articles on real life spiritual awakening experiences that humans have experienced through years of meditation, etc. Do you believe that’s a possibility? And that they truly found a connection to God without following a specific religion? It can’t possibly be a false illusion because these stories are believable, accurate and make complete sense to me since most enlightened people live a pious life and have let go of materialism and wrong doings. They also are not telling their stories for monetary gains,infact they like being away from the spotlight, which ensures that they’re not forming cults or anything of such sort.

Umer replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Permissibility Of Meditation And Yoga For Spirituality

Umer updated 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator March 19, 2021 at 6:06 pm

There’s nothing wrong with getting involved in Yoga or other physical activities, whether for a spiritual relief or physical wellbeing. The only thing that becomes objectionable is creation of an ideology parallel to basic tenets of revealed religion i.e. Islam. The only critique here is intermingling of Tasawwuf with that of religion, thus resulting in a change of basic sources of religion. For a detailed discussion on Tasawwuf and Islam, please see:

Discussion 4851

However, one should be mindful of every knowledge’s apex and limitations as well; just the way science cannot replace God, similarly, meditation or other means (i.e. Nafsi uloom) cannot replace revealed religion sent through Prophets only. As long as we are clear on the boundaries, one can opt for any form of knowledge. Following videos (following this comment) will shed some light on the nature of such knowledge and when it stands parallel to Islam (there is discussion on ordinary Yoga activities as well).

As far as the first revelation narratives are concerned (related to cave of Hira), this has been critiqued in detail in recent discussion with Ghamidi Sahab in our Response to 23 Question Series, please do watch that as well.

For a detailed discussion on first revelation narratives of Ghar-e-Hira, please watch these videos:

Discussion 44130

For a critical analysis of first revelation narratives, please read:

Discussion 1663

• Umer

Moderator March 19, 2021 at 6:07 pm

Please refer to the video below from 41:17 to 59:12

• Umer

Please also refer to the video below from 1:21:06 to 1:23:04

• Umer

Please also refer to the video below from 48:55 to 54:06 and from 59:12 to 1:01:06

• Umer

Moderator March 19, 2021 at 6:08 pm

Please also refer to the video below from 30:38 to 40:19

The discussion "Permissibility Of Meditation And Yoga For Spirituality" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now