Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Zakat Nisab

Tagged: 

• Zakat Nisab

Posted by Nehal Arshad on March 28, 2021 at 2:37 pm

I’m having difficulty about finding out the details of zakat and I hope that you can help me out. I’m from Pakistan and it’s an SoP that zakat is deducted on the 1st of Ramadan. Is there an Islamic ruling on this or is this just a state law? Secondly, I have read that zakat is to be paid out on wealth that has been in my possession for a lunar year. I received money above the nisab in the last week of July, 2020. Do I have to pay zakat on it on Ramadan or do I have to pay zakat on it in July, 2021? Thirdly, do I have to subtract my liabilities from my wealth before calculating the zakat?

Umer replied 3 years ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Zakat Nisab

Umer updated 3 years ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • $ohail T@hir

Moderator March 28, 2021 at 3:25 pm

pls. see if this helps: Discussion 3084 • Reply 3084

• Nehal Arshad

Member March 28, 2021 at 3:55 pm

In case of produce, the nisab is 653 kg of dates. There are different rates for different kinds of dates. For eg, ajwa dates in pakistan range from 2000-4000 pkr per kg whereas aseel dates range from 150-800 pkr per kg. What would be the standard (rate of dates) for calculating nisab?

If x is my wealth, y is nisab, z is my liability and t is the amount of tax that I’ve paid in a year then:

And if the amount of wealth is greater than the nisab (642 g of silver), then my zakat would be as follows:

(x-y-t-z) x 2.5%

Is this correct?

• Umer

Moderator March 29, 2021 at 5:57 pm

You can choose the dates which you usually use on occasions. However, there is no ceiling if one wants to achieve more piety.

Secondly, as per Ghamidi Sahab’s ijtihaad, for salary, one can use Government’s tax exemption for salaried individuals as a Nisab. In case there is no such exemption available, one can use nisab of amount equivalent to 653 kg of dates.

As for wealth, if wealth exceeds the amount of Nisab, then one can opt for 2.5% percentage to be applied to whole amount or on only amount exceeding the Nisab amount. Since there is no explicit guidance in Sunnah in this regard, one can go either way (same is the case with Zakat on Production i.e. salary etc.).

Please see summarized law of Zakat here:

Discussion 3084 • Reply 3094

And for issue of Zakat to be applied on whole amount or only on amount over and above Nisab, please see:

Discussion 36390 • Reply 36938

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register