A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Purpose Of Life

Tagged: ,

• Purpose Of Life

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator April 19, 2021 at 10:34 am

Purpose of life has been clearly addressed in the Quran as worship (ibadah). This is a term that holds a lot of depth. To understand what it means, please watch the two videos in the following thread:

Discussion 32787

• Khalid Haque

Member April 19, 2021 at 10:42 am

That was not my question at all. Both the slave and the Khalifa do ibadah (internal and external). It is the journey from being a slave to being a Khalifa that I am asking about. Quran uses both these terms with some reason and purpose

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator April 19, 2021 at 10:59 am

I’m not sure which verse you might be referring to in reference to khalifa. That word is used several times in the Quran. The reason and purpose can only become clear from reading the verse in context.

Our relationship with God is that of Master and slave. However, collectively He has entrusted the human beings with the matters of this world as His deputy – khalifa. There’s no reason to infer a journey from slave to khalifa – the state of the matters is already as such. Our journey at an individual level is explained by ibadah. The videos that I shared with you above should explain this in detail.

• Khalid Haque

Member April 19, 2021 at 7:56 pm

With great humility every word in the Quran is important; Slave equals servant who does his masters bidding and has no authority but a Khalifa is a representative who does his masters bidding but has a degree of freedom and choice on how the masters command is carried out. The journey I meant is obedience without understanding (slave/servant) and Khalifa obeys with understanding the reasoning behind the command of Allah

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator April 20, 2021 at 12:35 am

Of course every word in the Quran is important. However, every word must be understood in it’s context the way it was understood by the direct addressees of the Quran. We can’t simply take our own dictionary meanings and place them in the Quran. Also we can’t take unrelated verses of the Quran in order to infer our own philosophical ideas.

What the word slave (abd) refers to in the Quran is explained very well in the videos I shared with you above. You did not share which verse you’re referring to in reference to khalifa, however I suspect that it’s verse 2:30 because that’s the most popular one. In that verse God is informing angles about His scheme for the humanity. It has nothing to do with a journey from being a slave to a khalifa as in your original question.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register