Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran As The Meezan Over Sunnah

• Quran As The Meezan Over Sunnah

Posted by Iftekharul Islam on May 19, 2021 at 11:08 am

Since the Quran declares itself as the meezan/furqan, shouldn’t the rules of various sunnah practices such as prayer, fasting, hajj etc. be derived from the Quran only (as our Quranist brothers argue)? Otherwise, in what sense is it the meezan/furqan?

Umer replied 2 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Quran As The Meezan Over Sunnah

Umer updated 2 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • Fahad Iqbal

Member May 19, 2021 at 11:22 am

Good Question. The Foundations of Various Sunnah are indeed derived from the Quran. The Quran tells the believers to Offer Salat, Pay Zakat, Keep Fasting, Perform Hajj and even indicates that Previous Prophets and their Nations all established this Sunnah(Specially Prophet Ibraheem as Prophet Mohammad is told to follow his Sunnat). Had the Quran not mentioned the names of these Sunnat Ibadaat, i doubt we as Umaat would be able to preserve them. The guidance of the Quran compels us to look for the Methods to perform various Sunnats. And thats where we look to Concensus of Ummat in their Practice of these sunnat e Rasool.

God Knows Best!

• Iftekharul Islam

Member May 19, 2021 at 11:27 am

As far as I know, sunnah practices such as the two Eids, circumcision etc. haven’t been mentioned in the Quran. Why do we perform them in that case?

• Fahad Iqbal

Member May 19, 2021 at 11:34 am

These Two Eids are Related to Fasting and Hajj Respectively. And both these ibadaat have been mentioned in the Quran.

• Fahad Iqbal

Member May 19, 2021 at 11:38 am

Circumcision is Related to Purification of the Body which is mentioned in the Quran. Also Circumcision is mentioned in the Toraat. (Jewish Bible)

• Fahad Iqbal

Member May 19, 2021 at 11:44 am

Also Please understand that only those Sunnat ibadaat have been mentioned in the Quran on which our Salvation depends upon in the Akhirat. And which are Essential Foundations of Deen e Islam. For example Namaz, Roza, Hajj , Zakat Etc. Other Minor Sunnats have not been mentioned as Human being could rationally derive their implication from the Quran for purification of Self(in my opinion).

God Knows Best!

• Iftekharul Islam

Member May 20, 2021 at 12:39 am

Thanks. I think I’m able to connect the dots now.

• Ahsan

Moderator May 19, 2021 at 12:36 pm

The confusion occurs because of term Sunnah.
    Sunnah are the acts coming from previous prophets. They are irrespective of Quran as these action predates Quran.
    Its true that some biddah were included in those actions. Eg hajj and prayers. Prophet Mohammad saw corrected those sunnah. We find those correction in Quran too.
    You may findfollowing links to better understand concept of Sunnah

Discussion 30805 • Reply 30830

Discussion 5644 • Reply 5653

Discussion 1243

Discussion 880

• Umer

Moderator May 19, 2021 at 5:19 pm

This topic has been discussed at length in the following video i.e. how Prophet Muhammad (sws) initiated and transmitted religion to Muslims. Please refer to the video below from 18:42 to 34:24

https://youtu.be/7Wp7syihMus?t=1122

• Iftekharul Islam

Member May 20, 2021 at 12:40 am

Thanks Umer bhai. I’ll watch it soon InshaAllah.

• Umer

Moderator July 11, 2021 at 11:06 am

You may also want to refer to the following interrelated topics:

Discussion 53153

Discussion 53383

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register