Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Dress Code For Men In Front Of Other Men

Tagged: ,

• Dress Code For Men In Front Of Other Men

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on June 3, 2021 at 7:49 pm

I would like to know whether there are any restrictions as to how men dress in front of other men. For example, would it be allowed for men to compete in sumo wrestling, in an all-men arena? Or, do men have to be covered from navel to knee in front of one another as well? If so, does that mean that it is impermissible to watch sports where men are not dressed in this manner?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 2 years, 10 months ago 7 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Dress Code For Men In Front Of Other Men

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 2 years, 10 months ago 7 Members · 12 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator June 3, 2021 at 8:08 pm

Please see:

Discussion 30568

• Haseeb Faisal

Member June 3, 2021 at 8:19 pm

JazakAllah. I read the discussion that took place there. I’m not sure if I misunderstood, but I got the impression that there isn’t a black and white answer. Although there is a basic dress code that should be respected (navel to knee), the circumstances can make it acceptable to relax this dress code. This is my understanding of the discussion, please correct me if I am wrong.

One point that was made was that it is better to wear a tracksuit or longer shorts as opposed to shorts, but that it can be acceptable to wear very short clothing in situations where there is no other option. Now, whether a sportsperson has this option or not but continues to wear short clothing, am I allowed to watch that person compete in this sport?

• Fahad Iqbal

Member June 5, 2021 at 12:28 pm

Loose Long shorts below knees are more preferable to tight shorts for men in sportswear. Even today Iranian sportswomen wear decent full clothes while competing in international games, even wearing head scarf/Hijab and no one objects against them. Why cant Muslim Men do the same and bring decency in international sports.

You are allowed to watch as an individual case as it may not arose any sexual emotion within you. But what about women? and what about those men who feel attracted towards other men.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member June 5, 2021 at 8:36 pm

Okay makes a lot of sense. JazakAllah! I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

• Fahad Iqbal

Member June 4, 2021 at 12:09 am

The issue is not only covering. Men like women should also wear decent clothes to hide their privacy instead of revealing it in public. Now a days Men wear shorts and tight Jeans which reveals the shapes of their private parts and make them visible in public( Thighs & Hips in particular). My apologies but This is also shameful behavior as it falls in lustful category for attraction to opposite gender(a Sinful act).. Men should wear full clothes at least and most of all loose clothing in public to avoid visibility of their privacy. Culturally, Dress pants would be more preferable than a tight jeans or shorts.

Men should be careful in dressing because these ethics are followed by women in society. Women look at men and follow those ideals.

If we as Muslim men are not prepared to follow decency in Dressing ethics than we should also not expect the same from Muslim women.

Peace Out!

• Haseeb Faisal

Member June 4, 2021 at 9:02 am

JazakAllah, that makes sense. Do you also have an answer for my follow up question to Mr. Faisal Haroon?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 4, 2021 at 4:54 pm

@irfan76 what’s the shariah regarding this? I mean I don’t think men would get lustfully attracted by another man’s thighs…

• John Marston

Member June 5, 2021 at 1:58 pm

“navel to knee” concept is made-up and is not rooted within Quran or sunnah. You must dress appropriately.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 5, 2021 at 2:25 pm

According to Ghamidi sahab it comes under hifdhul furuj

• Fahad Iqbal

Member June 5, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Good point John bro. The Fuqaha developed these limitations based on Qiyas(logical reasoning) mentioned in Quran, Sunnah & Hadith about ethics of modesty.

The Quran gives a general guidance to men that they should guard their private parts in public. Now its natural to assume here that the Prophet was instructing this guidance keeping in mind that his audience knew very well, what their private parts were and how to guard them. Every Hukam of the Quran has a specific context with respect to its audience & surrounding and must be understood in that sense. This Hukam is obviously not applicable while alone in privacy of your bedroom or in front of your spouse. But rather its applicable when men interact with different people in society whether male or female. And the Quranic context makes it clear that its talking about interaction between men & women in public. As the Proceeding verses talks about modesty and decency for women.

Common sense, rationality and decency dictates that body parts which are involved in sexual intimacy are being called as Hafiz e Furuj in Quran. For Men obviously these are Penis, Testicles and Hips & the body parts near them i.e Navel & Theighs(My apologies for being graphic here).

• اشهل صادق

Member June 5, 2021 at 11:28 pm

Peace!

Nice explanation, Sir!

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 8, 2021 at 12:25 am

@AhmadShoaib I second Fahad Iqbal Sahib.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register