Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Family Quran 33:50 – Cousin Marriage

Tagged: , ,

• Quran 33:50 – Cousin Marriage

Posted by Faraz Siddiqui on September 4, 2021 at 7:03 am

The ruling of parda in Al Ahzab is considered only relative to Ajwaz e Mutahiraat but in a similar way Muhammed SAW is directly addressed in 33:50 giving him permission to marry his first cousins and any woman who devote herself to him. Allah said that this permission is only for Muhammed SAW.

Why r first cousins are allowed for all muslims? Why do we take the permission only relative to the last part(marry woman who devoted herself) and not the whole list?

I know Quran had mentioned list of prohibitive marriages and consequently all the rest are considered halal. But then why Allah mentioned first cousins exclusively if they were already halal?

I also know that church prohibits marrying first cousin, Bible and Torah allows it.

I’ll be grateful if someone can clarify this.

Faraz Siddiqui replied 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Quran 33:50 – Cousin Marriage

Faraz Siddiqui updated 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 4, 2021 at 4:24 pm

When analyzing verses of the Quran, one of the very important things is to determine the audience for those verses. Quran 33:50 is specifically addressing Prophet Muhammad SAW, and there’s context to to that verse so it will not be correct to ascertain any prohibition or lawfulness from it for the common believers. The prohibitions for common believers occur in verses 4:22-24.

On the topic of cousin marriages, you may find the video in the following response helpful:

Discussion 28454 • Reply 28485

• Faraz Siddiqui

Member September 4, 2021 at 9:02 pm

Many thanks brother Faisal

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register