Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Video Production For Sports Betting Company

• Video Production For Sports Betting Company

Posted by Umar Khan on October 15, 2021 at 3:18 pm

Hi, I own a media production company where we produce TV commercials and Corporate Videos for companies. I recently got an enquiry from a legit sports betting company to shoot an interview video for them which they will use in marketing. My part is only to shoot the video and handover the footage to them.

My concern is that, if I take the job will it not be considered as part in promoting betting in an indirect way? Is Allah testing me by giving this opportunity and see how would I respond? I’m confused!

Umer replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Video Production For Sports Betting Company

Umer updated 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator October 15, 2021 at 3:32 pm

The actual prohibition is that of doing gambling oneself, and logic dictates that promoting such an act should also not be done through business activities, as we’re supporting something we consider Haram and are infact in a position to not do it at the same time (e.g. being an employer). Such an act, if done, will be considered highly disliked and can even become sinful in some circumstances. The situation will dilute to some extent if one is an employee tasked with creating such an App and one has no discretion to choose otherwise but his major work relates to halal activities. It is better to avoid that too, if possible.

Please also see:

Discussion 73584 • Reply 73660

___

https://youtu.be/HtopFGmYDSY

• Umar Khan

Member October 15, 2021 at 3:48 pm

Hello Umer, thanks for your swift response. I somewhat agree to you. Back in the days when I started my company, I made a pact with my partner that we will not make any videos for Banks or that has anything related to banks. But now when I make this, will I considered as a hypocrite?

• Umer

Moderator October 16, 2021 at 1:50 pm

Since you two specifically agreed in relation to the banking sector, and this one doesn’t relate to that so you can proceed with this. But that would seem to your partner as exploiting the loophole in your agreement. Because I have a strong feeling, the spirit of your agremeent included all such activities like interest, alcohol and gambling and it was somewhat implied in your agreement. Therefore, in the spirirt of your pact with your partner, it’s better to take him on board with this one.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register