Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Wishing Non-muslims On Their Religious Festivals

• Wishing Non-muslims On Their Religious Festivals

Posted by Mohammed Zubair Alam on October 19, 2021 at 10:33 am

Can I wish non-muslims on their festival/marriage.According to Javed ahmed ghamidi it’s alright.

If I say happy diwali to my hindu friend knowing that I am only wishing but don’t he will feel like I’m encouraging him or strengthing him on his belief cause they celebrate diwali for a certain reason.

Same with wishing merry christmas. Even though I wish them with a different point of view but how they they would know that from which point of view I am wishing to him. He will think that I am also wishing him with a same point of view as his.

Please I need a clear answer on this matter.

Also Can I wish them on their marriage ceremony by saying like “congratulations” or “best wishes on this journey”.

Umer replied 1 year ago 6 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Wishing Non-muslims On Their Religious Festivals

Umer updated 1 year ago 6 Members · 14 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator October 19, 2021 at 11:30 pm
  • Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member October 20, 2021 at 12:50 am

Brother Can I get a detailed answer.

Like If I wish them on their festival/marriage by saying:- merry christmas,happy diwali, happy halloween,congratulations on their wedding. Is it a shirk or not?

According to me until and unless I am not worshipping anyone beside Allah I am not doing any shirk.

also if some christian or hindu bless with the name of thier idols, jesus, or anything so then can I say thank you in return?

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member October 20, 2021 at 10:00 am
  • Umer

Moderator October 20, 2021 at 12:13 pm

The Principle is that we Muslims are not to engage in any polytheistic activity / ritual or other immoral activitiy ourselves. As far as wishing others on their festivals, mere congratulating others does in no way become Shirk; unless the basis of that festival is celebration or performance of polytheism itself. The line here is very clear.

Following response by Ghamidi Sahab addresses all these points, please refer to the following link:

Discussion 38732 • Reply 39066

Please also refer to the video below from 20:49 to 24:19

https://youtu.be/_imOd5tyvGs?t=1249

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member October 21, 2021 at 12:11 am

Okay So we can’t say “congratulation” on their marriage as the marriage is invalid?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 21, 2021 at 10:42 am

Their marriages are not invalid, and we should congratulate our Non-Muslim friends on their marriages.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member October 21, 2021 at 10:46 am

Can you explain me how their marriages are valid?.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 21, 2021 at 10:53 am

A marriage is a legal contract whether it’s between Muslims or Non-Muslims. For Muslims there are certain laws in this regard that they must abide by. Regardless of the faith of a couple, if a marriage is recognized by the society or the state, then it’s not up to you or I to consider it invalid.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member October 21, 2021 at 10:56 am

Okay. Now I got it. Thank you so much.

• Saiyed juned Alimiya

Member November 4, 2021 at 1:00 pm

Diwali me craker is liye jalaye jate he ke ram jise wo allah mante he woh jungle se 14 year ke baad ghar wapas aaye the to jab ham ye craker jaye to kya niyat honi chahiye, wesi hi mythology holi ke saath judi huyi he jisme color ek duje par dalte he????

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member November 4, 2021 at 1:52 pm

The root of “Monday” is worshipping “Moon god” and “Sunday” is worshipping “sun god”. So root doesn’t matter. Your action should not involve shirk. And you can celebrate these with the intention of “enjoying”.

• Saiyed juned Alimiya

Member November 4, 2021 at 11:08 pm

Pesaani mean zabin par tilak laga dete he is ko kese samje?? Lagaye ya avoid kare, aarti utarkar tilak karte he aur hamare feet ko chu te he as a elder brother

• Sohaib Ahmed

Member April 27, 2023 at 4:32 am

The video link shared above indicates that Ghamidi sb response on Diwali is ‘assuming’ it is not based on shirk. Can you please reconfirm the response with him after informing that Diwali festival also celebrates the birth of Lakshmi, considering as goddess in Hinduism. I am still allowed to focus on the fun/lightning part of Diwali by ignoring this fact?

• Umer

Moderator April 27, 2023 at 11:42 pm

Ghamidi Sahab has not commented on the matter specifically but has given certain principles on which one can gauge whether to participate or not.

If celebration of Diwali is based purely on polytheism i.e. purely celebrated for some diety only, then one should not become part of such festivities.

According to some, Celebration of return of ram is a celebration of the return, not a celebration of diety or polytheism itself. Therefore, Happy Diwali can be said to other people and one can participate in the festivities as long as there is no polytheistic activity or immoral activity involved. But at the end, it is an ‘ijthadi application‘ and two people may differ on it’s application because according to others, Diwali is solely celebrated for the birth of Goddess Lakshami, in that case, one should refrain from participating. It is based on one’s understanding of the matter.

Please feel free to register for Ask Ghamidi live session at the following link and ask this question personally to Ghamidi Sahab:

Discussion 81530

Please also refer to the video below from 00:56 to 10:36 (specifically from 5:00 to 6:00)

https://youtu.be/bypN2Cu8uwo?t=300

The discussion "Wishing Non-muslims On Their Religious Festivals" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now