Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Child Marriage, Waiting Period Quran 65:4

• Child Marriage, Waiting Period Quran 65:4

Posted by Usama khan on October 30, 2021 at 7:41 am

In a discussion I tried to answer someone in which it is argued that Quran legislates pre-puberty marriages. My answer is as follows & I will like if someone can add content to it

Dear xxx, it’s a very good question! There existed many Arab traditions beforehand & therefore legislation was sent for them. For instance in Quran you will find a legislation that divorce will not occur if someone orally called his wife ‘mother’ thrice! This was a tradition of Arabs! So child bethroned to some male was a custom in reality still it is, especially in India, Africa & Burma. It is not necessarily an Islamic thing. Cousin are bethroned to their cousins at a very young age (although consummation doesn’t occur). Now the X3 month period is there for any death doubt! A male can be killed in a war far off or has gone missing …or his death news is yet to travel to homeland (news is getting transferred via horses those days). Such tenure is therefore prescribed to know of any pregnancy in adults or ascertain husband’s death!

Abdullah Ijaz replied 1 year, 5 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Child Marriage, Waiting Period Quran 65:4

Abdullah Ijaz updated 1 year, 5 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator October 30, 2021 at 8:16 am

In normal circumstances, the iddat is three menstrual cycles; however, if a woman does not menstruate because of advancing age or in spite of reaching puberty, then the Quran has specified in Surah Talaq that this period would be three months. The Quranic words are وَاللَّائِي لَمْ يَحِضْنَ. In the Arabic language, the word لَمْ is used for total and strong negation. Hence the expression cannot connote those girls who have not started to menstruate; it can only connote girls who have not menstruated in spite of reaching the age.

For details, please see:

Discussion 36471

Discussion 40351

• Usama khan

Member October 30, 2021 at 8:34 am

Sir what about child Marriages?

• Umer

Moderator October 30, 2021 at 8:45 am

Quran doesn’t speak of child marriage, but the traditional school of thought thinks it otherwise.

• Amara Khondekar

Member February 7, 2022 at 12:24 pm

Sir,

Scholars belive age of 9. If the girl has not yet reached puberty then she can get married.

Do you belive the same.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 30, 2021 at 9:19 pm
    • Abdullah Ijaz

Member November 9, 2022 at 2:04 pm

Sir
      I was told by someone that the verb in 65:4 is in the jussive sense which is a grammatical mood which expresses some form of intention or hope. Therefore, the phrase ‘lam yahidna’ is better translated as ‘those who did not (negation in the past tense) menstruate’, albeit they may still expect or intend to given the jussive mood.

Is this correct?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 10, 2022 at 2:50 am

This form of the verb is to show a definite sense and complete negation. So, it means they did not menstruate at all despite the age.

• Abdullah Ijaz

Member November 10, 2022 at 10:54 pm

Thanks
      I have one quick question, Is Ghamidi Sahab’s argument same as the one I posted above?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 10, 2022 at 2:50 am

Al Bayan:

“The actual words are: وَالّٰٓـِٔيْ لَمْ يَحِضْنَ. In the Arabic language, the word لَمۡ is used for total and strong negation. Hence the expression cannot connote those girls who have not started to menstruate; it can only connote girls who have not menstruated in spite of reaching the age.”

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 10, 2022 at 2:52 am

Moreover, the word al-Nisa here is enough to confirm that this is about the women, not the minor girls.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register