Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Is Spreading Islam Duty Of Every Muslim

• Is Spreading Islam Duty Of Every Muslim

Posted by Mohammed Zubair Alam on November 11, 2021 at 10:53 am

I am confused on these matter for several days. Is it the duty of every muslim to spread Islam or it is the duty of the preachers/scholars and people who talk about Islam. I think that It’s not possible for every muslim to preach and spread Islam all the time. Like I have non-muslim friends I can’t start preaching them about my religion or criticize their religion. I think it’s not my duty. I can say about my religion to them but not all the time. Also If I am with them and they are drinking alcohol at that time I can say that I won’t drink because it’s haram but I can’t stop them from drinking because for them it’s norm. Similarly if I attain their festival I can restrict myself from shirk but I can’t start preaching by saying “don’t do this” “it’s wrong” or whatever.

What I belief is right??

Mohammed Zubair Alam replied 2 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Is Spreading Islam Duty Of Every Muslim

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor November 11, 2021 at 2:41 pm

As I see it.

If there is ever a time to convince someone, it is when I have mastered the rationale on an idea or perspective or religion or politics. Then I should also have the ability to answer their rebuttals.

If I don’t have that ability then any thing that I put forth can lead to more confusion in the mind of the listener. I may be doing more harm than good. The best way for people like me, who don’t have in depth knowledge is to point the other person to a scholar or a book, if they show interest. Casual discussion on your beliefs shouldn’t cause a problem because you are explaining yourself not trying to convince them or preach.

The audience and their maturity also plays a part. I came across a well read person who was interested in Islam, not to convert but to know. He had read many religions. So I gave him the “the comprehensive introduction to Islam” by Ghamidi Sahib. He finished it in a few weeks or so and I let him keep it. That is how I approached the idea of informing people about Islam that is very different from preaching.

So, what you believe is right in my eyes.

Stay blessed, always 🤲

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member November 11, 2021 at 10:50 pm

Thank you so much for clarifying my doubts.🙏🏻

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor November 11, 2021 at 10:52 pm

Stay blessed, always 🤲.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 12, 2021 at 3:36 am

To preach is the duty of the scholars. See verse 9: 122

To enjoin good and forbid from evil is the duty of every Muslim. See verse 9: 71. This needs two things:

(1) you have jurisdiction and authority to do so.

2) In case of no jurisdiction or authority, you can perform the duty when your audience is ready or willing to listen. See Verse 16:125

We cannot follow the way of the prophet (PBUH) here. His special duty was of Itmam e Hujjat, and he warned his people against their will. This duty is exclusive with the prophet.

• Umer

Moderator November 12, 2021 at 4:16 am
  • Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member November 12, 2021 at 4:37 am

Ok so for common muslims like us It will depend on our knowledge. We can forbid but we can’t start teaching others to forbid if they are among those who are not showing intrest. Our first duty is our immediate circle and then It will depend on our knowledge and people around us and also It’s a choice.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register