Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Question On Reciting Prayers Silently And Out Loud?

• Question On Reciting Prayers Silently And Out Loud?

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on November 13, 2021 at 1:41 pm

Asalamualaikum,

I heard that Zuhr and Asr are to be read silently whereas the other fard prayers are to be recited out loud. Does this only apply to congregational prayers? And does silent recitation still involve whispering? I recite all of my individual prayers in a whispering tone, so I was wondering if that is fine.

JazakAllah

Umer replied 2 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Question On Reciting Prayers Silently And Out Loud?

Umer updated 2 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator November 15, 2021 at 3:31 am

The Sunnah instituted by the Prophet (sws) reached to us through Ijma and Tawatur is that in congregational prayers, Zuhr and Asr are to be recited silently by the Imam and first two rakats of Fajr, Maghrib and Isha are to be recited outloud by Imam with rest of the rakats to be recited silently by Imam (except for Fajr).

As for the person offering Salah alone, there is no explicit guidance availabe in Sunnah of Prophet (sws). It is from this above Sunnah of the Prophet (sws), some scholars inferred that same should be followed in those payers as well which are offered alone.

The truth is that there is no such guidance available and the matter has been left to the individual offering such prayer.

__

As for the silent recitation: it means that your voice should stick with you, it may involve some whispering as well.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member November 21, 2021 at 6:00 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi.

Okay I see. So, can I recite all my prayers silently, or do I have to recite loudly at certain times?

• Umer

Moderator November 22, 2021 at 12:25 am

Yes you can.

Except for Tahajjud Salah, where it is advised to recite Quran in a moderate voice, somewhere in-between loud recitation and silent recitation.

Please see for details regarding Tahajjud:

Discussion 66971 • Reply 67154

The discussion "Question On Reciting Prayers Silently And Out Loud?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now