Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Shafi And Hanafi Namaz Timings

Tagged: ,

• Shafi And Hanafi Namaz Timings

Posted by Uzair Khalil on November 21, 2021 at 8:17 pm

What namaz timings should be followed, Shafi or Hanafi? One following Hanafi timings should always adhere to it or he can follow Shafi timings also when needed. E.g difference between Shafi Asr and Hanafi Asr these days is roughly 40 minutes. (Let’s say 2:20pm and 3:00pm respectively). Can I offer Asr prayer at 2:20pm if I normally follow Hanafi namaz timings. Similarly, can I offer zohar prayer close to 3:00 pm (still not qaza per Hanafi namaz timings) if some day it gets delayed due to work?

Umer replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Shafi And Hanafi Namaz Timings

Umer updated 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator November 22, 2021 at 2:28 am

The difference in ‘Asr Prayer timing‘ relates to the matter of application. You can see for yourself which application appeals to your senses more, then you can follow that timing.

Regarding Salah delayed due to work: in case of forgetting or another material difficulty, the prayer should be offered as soon as one remembers or the difficulty has been removed, even if it’s after the time for the next prayer has arrived. The Salah will be considered offered on time.

Following discussion will be helpful with regards to ‘Asr timing‘:

Discussion 38439

• Uzair Khalil

Member November 23, 2021 at 11:33 am

I get your point regarding matter of application. My other question was regarding strict adherence to either Hanafi or Shafi timings. Let’s consider the following scenario.

Shafi Asr 2:20 pm, Hanafi Asr 3:00 pm

I normally follow Hanafi timings but today I feel I wont be able to offer Asr prayer per Hanafi timings because of my work schedule. Can I pray Asr around 2:20 pm today (Shafi time) or I have to stick with Hanafi timings forever because it appeals to me more.

Also please mention, if possible, what Ghamdi sb follows and what’s his opinion on this particular scenario.

Thanks.

• Umer

Moderator November 24, 2021 at 2:11 pm

Ghamidi Sahab has not expressed his opinion on this matter as to which timing he prefers. He has explained the principle that ‘Asar‘ means the time ‘when sun comes in your vision frame while looking straight without lifting your head. You can see for yourself which time is that and follow that timing as you found it to be the time of Asar.

Regarding your point on time-swapping because of work schedule. This problem can never arise from a practical stand-point, because whenever you’re faced with any undue difficulty to offer Salah on time, you’re allowed to offer reduced Salah (Qasar) and also can combine salah: combine Zuhr and Asar (at Zuhr time or at Asar time considering your ease) and combine Maghrib and Isha (at Maghrib time or at Isha time considering your ease). And if due to some reason, you were unable to do any of them becasue of the circumstances, then whenever you get time to offer salah, you should offer immediately, it will not be considered Qaza Namaz.

Please see for details:

Discussion 40073

Discussion 35095

• Uzair Khalil

Member February 15, 2022 at 2:48 pm

Here is another scenario. I follow Hanafi namaz timings. Shafi asr starts at 3:00pm and hanafi asr starts at 4:00pm. I am done with my zohar prayer and at that time I didn’t know that I’d be busy at work between between 4pm and maghrib otherwise I’d have prayed zohar and asr together. But I am free between 3pm and 3:45pm. What do I do now? Can I pray asr following shafi timings today or not? (Remember hanafi asr hasn’t started yet and if I don’t pray asr in this window then the only chance to pray asr will be with maghrib). I encounter these scenarios on frequent basis at workplace.

• Umer

Moderator February 16, 2022 at 7:29 am

I assume that you’re following Hanafi timing after being convinced that their time of Asr is more representative of Asr timing as prescribed by the Prophet (sws) and not out of mere whim; in that scenario you can simply perform your Asr Salah in Zohar time under the same principle of ‘Usr’ which allows combining of two prayers as mentioned above. There still won’t be any problem.

• Uzair Khalil

Member February 16, 2022 at 8:55 am

No I am not convinced that hanafi timing is more representative of what Prophet (P.B.U.H) prescribed. I am just following what I saw people doing in my circle. It would be great if you could ask Ghamidi sb what he thinks is more close to what Prophet (P.B U.H) prescribed.

Also, let me make some changes to the above scenario. I want the complete understanding of this issue so that I could implement the correct understanding in my daily routine.

Same scenario as above and I am done with my zohar prayer around 1 pm. Around 3:00pm (when shafi Asr starts) I realize I may or may not be free between 4 pm and maghrib and may or may not be able to pray Asr according to hanafi timing (which starts at 4pm) but I am free between 3:00pm and 4:00pm. Can I pray Asr in this window following shafi timing? Let’s say I do and later around 4:30pm I find myself not busy anymore. Should I pray Asr again?

One more question:

As I understood from your replies, time swapping between shafi and hanafi timing is allowed, it’s just that you are giving it a different name (Usr). Did I understand it correctly?

• Umer

Moderator February 17, 2022 at 3:05 am

There’s no such thing as time swapping between shafi and hanafi timing and I never implied such a thing.

The principle is very simple, you as an individual have to decide what consitutes Asr time according to you and follow that time. And in case of any undue difficulty, you have to decide whether you need to combine (or reduce) your Salah or not.

If you’ve already prayed Asr (somewhere between 3 and 4 pm) because of some upcoming work rendering you busy during the Asr window, then you do not need to repeat it if by any chance, you do not get busy as expected earlier on the basis of which you made your decision.

You also have the option to register for the next AG live session and clarify your confusions from Ghamidi Sahab directly.

The discussion "Shafi And Hanafi Namaz Timings" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now