Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Zakat On Crypto Asset

Tagged: 

• Zakat On Crypto Asset

Posted by Muhammad Wasif on December 24, 2021 at 7:17 am

Aa Crypto assets are a means of production I get the ruling for Zakat on Earnings that earnings through it more than nisab would be applicable for Zakat

what would be the ruling for them on Zakat on Asset? Would they be exempted or I have to give 2.5% zakat on their current value?

Faisal Haroon replied 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Zakat On Crypto Asset

Faisal Haroon updated 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 24, 2021 at 10:41 am

Digital assets are not any different from other liquid assets for the treatment of zakat. Please see my responses in the thread below:

Discussion 46914

• Muhammad Wasif

Member December 26, 2021 at 10:50 am

Can you please explain explain the rationale behind treating Digital assets same as liquid assets.

• Muhammad Wasif

Member December 28, 2021 at 3:59 pm
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 28, 2021 at 4:13 pm

I’m not sure what rationale you might be looking for other than what’s already self-evident. Cryptocurrency is by definition a currency, hence a liquid asset. Since I might not have all the required information in this regard, if you have a reason to believe it should be considered differently, please share your argument and I’ll be happy to re-assess my understanding.

Also for zakat purposes, whether the asset is liquid or not might be irrelevant.

• Muhammad Wasif

Member December 29, 2021 at 8:07 am

I don’t have any other argument I just wanted to understand it more in depth. I thought of it as a business and as our coins will be a means of production so we won’t be paying zakat. Now what I understand is that people like me who have got these coins as a means of saving. Zakat would be applicable on current value of coins (just as people buy gold for savings) but if a person who does crypto for sake of proper business he wouldn’t be paying zakat as it would be considered means of production in this case ( just as gold dealers they have proper business of gold ) Am I right in my understanding?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 29, 2021 at 9:02 am

In order for an asset to be qualified as a means of production, it must be in business use. In that case zakat will be paid on the amount produced during the period while the asset itself will be considered exempt. In financial markets trading, this situation is very rare for most people.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register