Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam The Status Of Sahih Bukhari's Chain Of Transmission

Tagged: ,

• The Status Of Sahih Bukhari's Chain Of Transmission

Posted by Aayan Zubairi on December 28, 2021 at 1:20 pm

السلام علیکم

Imam Bukhari’s Al Jami as Sahih has reached us through one key narrator who was (allegedly) a direct student of Imam Bukhari, his name is Muhammad ibn Yousuf Al Firabri (d. 320 ah) . However, no CONTEMPORARY of his time has ever explicitly declared him to be trustworthy. He has only been declared trustworthy by scholars well after his time. The first scholar to declare him trust worthy, Hafiz Abu Yala al Khalili does so a 150 years after Firabri’s death.

This leads many to believe that Firabri is majhool, and thus it is not entirely proven that Sahih Bukhari has reached us in an unaltered manner and that the book’s sanad reaches Imam Bukhari.

Note: I’m aware there are 3-4 other transmitters of Bukhari, however their transmissions are not complete.

Aayan Zubairi replied 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • The Status Of Sahih Bukhari's Chain Of Transmission

Aayan Zubairi updated 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator December 28, 2021 at 4:22 pm

Is there a question?

• Aayan Zubairi

Member December 28, 2021 at 4:25 pm

Yes… I may have forgotten to mention it…….. But.. What is Ghamidi sahib’s view of all of this? Can we rely upon sahih Bukhari? Because if we were to take a look at the different manuscripts we find major differences in the isnaad of Ahadith.

• Umer

Moderator December 28, 2021 at 4:54 pm

In Farahi Discourse, such a question cannot arise. Since religion is preserved completely in Quran and Sunnah, therefore, no Hadith book can have an impact on that religion. Whatever falls within ambit of this religion (i.e. Quran and Sunnah), will be accepted and whatever negates that, will be referred back to the narrator.

Ghamidi Sahab is of view that Hadith collection happened in a natural way, how sayings of big personalities are initially transmitted orally among people and are written down later at some point, which in this case was no other than Last Prophet himself (SWS). He hasn’t commented on transmission of Sahih Bukhari via Firabri specifically. However, his comments on general collection and transmission of Ahadith can be found in the following thread:

Discussion 50996

• Aayan Zubairi

Member December 28, 2021 at 6:57 pm

With respect, I believe I may have erred in trying to get my question across to you.. I’m aware of the Farahite arguments regarding the separation of Sunnah and Hadith.. My question was meant to be specific, as in.. For instance tafsir ibn Abbas, the book itself doesn’t successfully reach Ibn Abbas therefore even referencing it is deemed unethical.. But nonetheless thank you for taking the time out to answer my question..

• Umer

Moderator December 28, 2021 at 5:01 pm

Although I will forward it to see if we can get comments of any scholar to this question.

• Aayan Zubairi

Member December 28, 2021 at 6:58 pm

Thank you

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register