Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and State Can State Interfere In Personal Matters?

• Can State Interfere In Personal Matters?

Posted by Raza Amjad on December 28, 2021 at 6:20 pm

Assalamualaikum,

I watched the above referenced video lecture with great interest. Thank you for taking time to address this topic. Question: Since per Islamic law alcohol, gambling, and prostitution (Zina) are forbidden then can an Islamic government prohibit it’s citizens and businesses to sell, promote, and support such activities? How do these items fit in the definition of Jaan, Maal, and Aabroo since they might be considered offensive by some who can always shun from these activities without getting harmed themselves?

Similarly if indecent dressing/partial nudity, public display of music & dancing (e.g modern concerts, movies), and free mingling of sexes are not crimes under islamic laws, can an Islamic government prohibit such activities against the preference of a majority of it’s citizen (who support such activities)? Again, how can these activities fit within the definition of Jaan, Maal, and Aabroo since they might be considered offensive by some who can always shun from these activities without getting harmed themselves?

I am not being a smart aleck but genuinely want to learn and understand. Will appreciate a reply.

Jazaak Allah Khairan.

Umer replied 1 year, 2 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Can State Interfere In Personal Matters?

Umer updated 1 year, 2 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 28, 2021 at 6:30 pm

For reference, following is the video that this question pertains to:

https://youtu.be/emgtJrcKGcs

• Umer

Moderator December 31, 2021 at 12:56 am

Adultery has been declared a crime in Islam for which basis is available how it infringes upon the rights of familial system at a societal level, and hence it’s prohibition at a state level on the principles of Sadd-e-Zariya. Law-making prohibiting alcohol consumption can also be done on principles of sadd-e-zariya considering it’s negative impact in the society, resulting in infringement of the rights of other citizens of the society.

You will find comments of Ghamidi Sahab regarding adultery and alcohol in the following two videos:

Discussion 52487 • Reply 52488

Discussion 51069 • Reply 51106

As for obscenity in the society, you can refer to the following response of Ghamidi Sahab:

Please refer to the video below from 37:32 to 41:06

https://youtu.be/i8bERiNYXnI?t=2252

• Raza Amjad

Member January 8, 2022 at 12:19 pm

Dear Mr. Qureshi,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I find the information conflicting and the answers don’t satisfy my curiosity.

My Allah guide us all to the truth.

Jazak Allah.

Raza Amjad.

• Umer

Moderator January 9, 2022 at 2:06 am

Please refer to this fresh episode on the said matter aired today, where all these scenarios have been discussed at-length:

https://youtu.be/i8bERiNYXnI

• Raza Amjad

Member January 9, 2022 at 10:51 am

Dear Mr. Qureshi,

Thank you so much for sharing the link to this new lecture. It was extremely helpful especially the last part of the lecture where Ghamdi Sahib explained that not all ills of society require legislation to the nth degree and in certain cases it is better to start with educating and encouraging the people to the correct path. May Allah help and guide us all to the correct path and give us the opportunity to help others to discover it too.

Can you please share the links to the previous four (4) lectures on this topic that Mr. Ilyas refers to in the beginning of the video? Will greatly appreciate it.

Jazak Allah Khairan.

Raza Amjad

• Umer

Moderator January 10, 2022 at 4:06 am

(Part-1)

• Umer

Moderator January 10, 2022 at 4:07 am

(Part-2)

• Umer

(Part-3)

• Umer

(Part-4)

• Umer

Moderator February 6, 2023 at 12:37 am

The discussion "Can State Interfere In Personal Matters?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now