Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Science Mountains As Pegs?

• Mountains As Pegs?

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on July 14, 2020 at 12:01 pm

[They should behold:]33 Have We not made the earth a cradle and made the mountains [its] pegs?34

34. So that it may not stray from its orbit with its inhabitants.

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Ghamidi sahabs translation seems to hint at some very complicated geology. Was this known to the Arabs of that time? If not then what is the true meaning of this verse?

جزاكم الله خيرا

Mohammad Yaseen replied 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Mountains As Pegs?

Mohammad Yaseen updated 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 14 Replies
  • Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor July 14, 2020 at 12:06 pm

Principle no.1

What kind of book is the Quran!

Principle no. 2

How does God function in the Quran!

Answer is in there. In the derived formula.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 14, 2020 at 7:11 pm

Sir could you share the answer from these two principles from your understanding?

جزاكم الله خيرا

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor July 14, 2020 at 8:08 pm

Sure.

But first, I request you to defend these ayahs as a lawyer. Use the knowledge that you already possess.

How would you explain it? Of course You can!

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 14, 2020 at 8:11 pm

I would say at that time maybe the Arabs through coming sense thought that the mountains were like pegs and held together the Earth from quakes? I’m not sure if this is scientifically correct.

I do not understand where orbit comes from

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 14, 2020 at 8:12 pm

Common sense*

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor July 14, 2020 at 9:46 pm
  • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 14, 2020 at 9:49 pm

Sir I have no argument as to wether it is scientifically correct or not. Was it known to the Arabs of the time?

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor July 14, 2020 at 9:59 pm

SAHIH INTERNATIONAL He created the heavens without pillars that you see and has cast into the earth firmly set mountains, lest it should shift with you, and dispersed therein from every creature. And We sent down rain from the sky and made grow therein [plants] of every noble kind.

Is this the ayah you are referring to.

Luqman 31:10

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor July 14, 2020 at 10:14 pm

My request was about the non-scientific nature of the understanding of the quran. It was a theological issue. But I am glad that you were also referring to the science.

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor July 15, 2020 at 5:55 am

The videos prove that the science is recent and couldn’t be known in that era.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 15, 2020 at 12:56 pm

So brother, what did the Arabs at the time uderstand from that verse? Did they relate the Earth being calm with mountains? Did the Quran teach them this somehow?

• Umer

Moderator July 17, 2020 at 11:46 am

If you look at the flow of the verses, you’ll notice that the whole flow is talking about things that we observe in daily life.

[They should behold:] Have We not made the earth a cradle and made the mountains [its] pegs? And not created you in pairs? And not made your sleep a means of comfort [for you]? And not made the night a clothing and the day a time to earn [your] livelihood? And not built above you seven sturdy skies? And not made [in them] a glowing lamp? And not sent down abundant water from dripping clouds that We may bring forth grain and vegetation and gardens of luxurious growth? [All this clearly testifies that] indeed the Day of Judgement has an appointed time. (78:6-17)

All of this is observable to human eye and the same has been used to draw our attention toward the signs of God’s creation [1]. Seeing the flow of verses, it would be unjust to say that Quran is only speaking some in-depth geology, which people of Arab somehow knew about at that time. Even today, if you look at earth and the mountains, it would be a great poetic expression of explaining relationship of earth with mountains. It doesn’t mean that it can’t contain any scientific connotations as well along with metaphorical expression of this relationship. But as far as Arabs were concerned, and even for a present day man, this metaphorical relationship would still make sense without need for any in-depth geological phenomenons.

[1] Except for seven skies, whose reality and nature has been described in detail at different places in Quran. A few passages can be seen in the following thread, for example:

Discussion 6295

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 3, 2020 at 8:04 pm

Even today, if you look at earth and the mountains, it would be a great poetic expression of explaining relationship of earth with mountains. It doesn’t mean that it can’t contain any scientific connotations as well along with metaphorical expression of this relationship.

When would we use this? What was the purpose of saying the mountains are pegs. I don’t understand. Mountains are formed when tectonic plates collide and are pushed together. One plate is thrusted up and the other downwards. Sometimes this makes deep ocean trenches and sometimes mountains. How is using the word peg appropriate?

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor October 8, 2020 at 10:34 pm

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register