Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Praying Namaz While Having The Urge + Gas To Use The Washroom

Tagged: ,

• Praying Namaz While Having The Urge + Gas To Use The Washroom

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on March 6, 2022 at 6:41 pm

Asalamualaikum,

I know a thread already exists on this topic (Discussion 47842). However, I just want it to be clarified how narratives such as the following should be interpreted?

It was narrated from Abu Umamah that:

The Messenger of Allah forbade a man to perform prayer when he was suppressing (the urge to urinate or defecate). Sunan Ibn Majah 617.

And I’m not sure what exactly defines an urge. Does this mean that one needs to go use the washroom badly and fears relieving themselves during prayer, but continues to pray? In this case, the person would not be able to even stand still. Or does this refer to any degree of need to use the washroom? Because having to empty especially the bowels before every prayer can be quite difficult. And also, sometimes some one may need to urinate, but not in such a way that it is unbearable and will affect concentration, at least significantly .

Another thing is that I believe I once read on a scholarly website that if one feels the need to pass gas from their rear then they cannot being prayer. Is this true? Because ever since I read this, I always feel discomfort, as though I have a need to pass gas. It becomes really hard to begin prayer. Because of course there’s one feeling where you absolutely feel like you’re about to pass gas, but then other cases where it’s just discomfort and you try to alleviate this discomfort.

JazakAllah

Haseeb Faisal replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Praying Namaz While Having The Urge + Gas To Use The Washroom

Haseeb Faisal updated 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 10 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 7, 2022 at 1:08 am

This is what a person to decide, whether he or she should answer the call of nature first or say prayer.

in the second case, it seems a false urge which needs to be ignored

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 7, 2022 at 7:35 pm

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad,

So, is relieving the urge to use the bathroom or pass gas only something that falls within manners. Or, can someone’s prayer be invalid if they had any such urge (to use the bathroom or pass gas) but decided to pray anyway?

JazakAllah

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 7, 2022 at 10:40 pm

It is of course manners. it is an advice not a a law.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 9, 2022 at 12:30 pm

But Dr. Irfan Shahzad, then how come in the hadith it says, “The Messenger of Allah forbade a man to perform prayer when he was suppressing (the urge to urinate or defecate)”? Why was this person forbidden it is only advice?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 10, 2022 at 5:03 am

This way an elder teaches the manners. If it was a law, the way to tell would be different. the prophet would have said, that prayer is not done, until one feels relieved. We should not ignore this advice, but we cannot the elevate it to the status of law.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 11, 2022 at 5:37 am

So the bottom line is that one should try to take the advice and not pray when they have an urge to urinate/defecate/pass gas. However, if they do begin prayer with any of these urges, it does not affect the validity of their prayer. Have I understood correctly?

JazakAllah

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 12, 2022 at 12:51 am

Yes

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 12, 2022 at 10:19 am

And just for my reassurance, having the urge to pass gas before prayer does not invalidate prayer either, correct? I know you already answered, but I just want to clarify for this specifically.

JazakAllah

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 14, 2022 at 2:30 am

Yes.

Your reassurance shows that this is same problem with you regarding impurity. If you opt to ignore these urge of reassurance you will feel relief. Start ignoring your doubts.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 14, 2022 at 5:23 pm

I know you are absolutely right. It’s not healthy for me to give into these temptations. InshAllah my aim already was that starting from the end of next week, I will try to avoid asking questions on these topics so that I can observe Ramadan in a peaceful manner.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register