Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy How To Trace Established History?

Tagged: ,

• How To Trace Established History?

Posted by Abdullah AbdulRahman on March 23, 2022 at 3:36 pm

Assalamualaikum

The Quran, Sunnat or established history. These things are what everybody knows and don’t need to give reference from book. But how these can be traced? Like can these be traced by consensus(Ijma) also or we have to open history books?

Faisal Haroon replied 2 years ago 2 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • How To Trace Established History?

Faisal Haroon updated 2 years ago 2 Members · 9 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 23, 2022 at 3:46 pm

There’s no need to trace established historical facts. They’re already established.

Please see for details:

Discussion 55834 • Reply 55883

Discussion 55834 • Reply 55884

• Abdullah AbdulRahman

Member April 2, 2022 at 7:43 am

So when it is said that no need to trace it, you will get it in the ijma and tawatur. But how do we get to know that e.g in 900 AC people used to believe this as a fact. Do we have to go to the history books?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator April 2, 2022 at 10:48 am

Established means that certain historical facts are already undisputed. There’s no point in verifying these facts unless we can pinpoint a time in history when such events were disputed by any significant measure, in which case they don’t remain established to begin with.

• Abdullah AbdulRahman

Member April 8, 2022 at 2:16 pm

For example i am living a country fully Barelvi. There is no dispute about it. Now around me everyone would say that going to shrines and asking them help is a part of Islam that this is an established thing. And they say that in the whole Muslim history, going to shrines is happening. So would i come to know that this is not the right thing that whole Muslim nation in the whole Muslim history was doing this? Because around me this is considered as an established thing?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator April 8, 2022 at 3:00 pm

Around you it may be a common practice, but that doesn’t make it established history.

• Abdullah AbdulRahman

Member April 17, 2022 at 1:52 pm

So then how would that be traced? And proved that it’s not an established history, but just a common practice around me which is also said as an established history.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator April 17, 2022 at 3:43 pm

My friend a practice is not history. History refers to events in the past. Established history means those historical events where it’s already established that they took place beyond any reasonable doubt.

• Abdullah AbdulRahman

Member April 19, 2022 at 1:14 pm

Sorry,i mixed Sunnah and history a little. Take an example of Sunnah, today every Muslim learns Salah in the way which Prophet SAW has established. But how can that be traced, like definitely it presents in the ijma of Ummah, but how can it be traced back?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator April 19, 2022 at 2:46 pm

This thread is about history. For Sunnah there are several good posts on Ask Ghamidi that you can search for. If you still have any questions please feel free to create a new post.

The discussion "How To Trace Established History?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now