Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Keeping A Fast After Sehri

Tagged: ,

• Keeping A Fast After Sehri

Posted by Zuhair on April 5, 2022 at 5:01 am

After sehri today, I didn’t realize the time as in my mind there was some other time, but as I was about to drink water I realized the fajr time has passed a minute ago. I didn’t understand what to do so I quickly drank 3 glasses of water and brushed my teeth etc and in this all, 6 minutes had passed. I made the intention of fasting but am unsure whether I did the right thing or is my fast accepted or not?

Umer replied 2 years ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Keeping A Fast After Sehri

Umer updated 2 years ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator April 5, 2022 at 6:00 am

If you’re already eating or drinking anything when the Sehri time is due, then you can finish your meal and carry-on with your fast. But you cannot eat or drink anything after you already know that Sehri time according to you is over.

Please see for details:

Discussion 47951

• Zuhair

Member April 5, 2022 at 12:08 pm

Then that means I don’t have a roza today?

• Zuhair

Member April 5, 2022 at 6:31 pm

Please reply, as I still didn’t eat or drink anything till iftari as I wasn’t sure that whether or not my fast was accepted or not.

• Umer

Moderator April 7, 2022 at 7:54 am

This is a decision you have to make yourself after considering all the releavnt facts related to your situation and with an utmost honesty. I can only help you in understanding of the principle underlying current situation.

Brushing your teeth doesn’t have any effect on your fast, but if you were already drinking something then you can complete it even if Sehri time is due. If you were under an honest misunderstanding regarding sehri time and drank something under a misunderstanding of time, then this won’t effect your fast too. But if you knew that Sehri time is over and you drank something after that, then it’s better to repeat that fast at a later date.

• Zuhair

Member April 7, 2022 at 11:07 am

Ok thanks for the clarification. I understood

• Zuhair

Member April 7, 2022 at 11:09 am

Sorry, but do I have to compensate for it now? I mean a kaffara?

• Umer

Moderator April 10, 2022 at 6:05 am

Kaffara is only when one breaks their fast on purpose.

I cannot comment on your situation since I do not know all the facts therefore, the final decision lies with you.

However, to be on a safer side, there’s no harm in repeating the fast at a later point.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register