Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Saying Darood With Name Of Prophet Muhammad (SWS)

• Saying Darood With Name Of Prophet Muhammad (SWS)

Posted by Mubeena Imtiaz on April 12, 2022 at 4:42 pm

Why do we say “Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam” after Prophet Muhammad’s (PBUH) name?

Is it a compulsion to say it? We are sending peace to him, but he has already left this world in peace. I know it’s used for all prophets as a token of respect as well, but I’m failing to understand it’s significance.

Afia Khan replied 2 years ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Saying Darood With Name Of Prophet Muhammad (SWS)

Afia Khan updated 2 years ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar April 13, 2022 at 1:26 am

It is a show of respect and gratitude for his noble services for religion. We have the religion of God because of him. So we pray to God to send his blessings upon him. This is not that he needs it, it is us whose sense of gratitude demands it. Even angels pray for him. God has also asked us to pray for him in the Quran. .

“God and His angels shower their blessings on the Prophet. O believers, you should also send your blessings on him, and salute him with a worthy greeting.” (33:56)

• Mubeena Imtiaz

Member April 13, 2022 at 8:35 pm

Isn’t that verse specific to the time when Prophet Muhammad was undergoing hardship? (as explained by Mr Ghamidi)

Since he’s no longer with us, why does he require blessings or prayers? Or why should we send blessings? He already has great rank in the eyes of Allah.

I in fact do used PBUH or Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam when mentioning his name but I really want to understand why I have to?

• Umer

Moderator April 14, 2022 at 6:40 am

Human beings, in additon to logic, also have a psychological and emotional existence. This Darood is not required by the Prophet (SWS), instead, it is required by us to fulfil our need to express our love, respect and gratitude for the Prophet (SWS). And what better and pious way to express these emotions than by sending blessings and prayers for him.

• Mubeena Imtiaz

Member April 14, 2022 at 9:32 am

Thank You for the clarifications.

• Umer

Moderator April 13, 2022 at 6:35 am

Please also refer to the following thread for comments of Ghamidi Sahab:

Discussion 51672

• Afia Khan

Member April 14, 2022 at 10:16 am

Another approach. What is the view of Ghamidi Sahab?

https://fb.watch/cnY_0W-fQj/

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator April 14, 2022 at 10:38 am

This is not really another approach as Maulana Waheeduddin sahab also recognizes that durud is a supplication in favor of Prophet Muhammad SAW. In the above video he explained what our motivation should be for making such a supplication. Of course no one can deny all the sacrifices made by the Prophet in order to spread God’s message, so no significant concerns can be raised upon his explanation.

• Afia Khan

Member April 14, 2022 at 12:29 pm

I understand he is not denying. But it’s a reminder for me that instead of making it a ritual without thinking, need to know the rooh and logics of this practice.

The discussion "Saying Darood With Name Of Prophet Muhammad (SWS)" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now