Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Azan In New Born’s Ear & Its Relationship With Biddah

• Azan In New Born’s Ear & Its Relationship With Biddah

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator May 4, 2022 at 1:58 pm

Please see:

Discussion 1312

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member May 5, 2022 at 1:01 am

If someone does it following the cultural norm, or tradition then is it okay?

• Umer

Moderator May 9, 2022 at 3:53 pm

Committing such an act would be Biddah especially when one is aware of this fact. No innovation in religion can be instituted in the name of tradition.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member May 10, 2022 at 2:04 am

If someone does this not from the point of view of religion but just to adopt a method in naming the child, is this okay? We Muslims always take the name of Allah before doing anything. So if one recites Azan or any Surah while naming a child, will this be wrong?

Example:-Adoption of the ruling of the pardah which was for the wives of the prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) is bidah especially when one is aware of this fact, but if one maintains normally not from the point of view of religion but because of her personal preference, then there is no wrong in this, right?.

Actually I’m asking this because of my personal problem. Even if I know, I can’t tell my family about this because they won’t believe me . They may even ask me to do this, so I’m asking , would this be a bidah if I have this viewpoint?

• Umer

Moderator May 10, 2022 at 6:00 pm

Doing Parda (taking a cloak over oneself) is in itself not a religious act, but the acts of Azan and Quran recitation are by their innate nature, religious acts. Therefore, one should be careful when adopting such religious rituals in the name of tradition. One can come up with any excuse in their mind but we all know it has become a traditional ritual in the name of religion.

Please refer to the following advice/response of Ghamidi Sahab when faced with such societal dilemmas:

Discussion 47982 • Reply 48058

Discussion 67081 • Reply 67191

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member May 10, 2022 at 11:57 pm

If pardah is itself not a religious act but ittekaf is🤔.

Ghamdi Sahib himself had said that if one wants to live in ittekaf for the rest of his life, then there is nothing wrong in this, but this will be his personal choice.

I think this has become a tradition in the name of religion thats why we are giving the tag of “biddat” .

• Umer

Moderator May 13, 2022 at 11:22 am

Parda is a very ambiguous term and not a religious one, and people use it in different meanings when they use this term. I think it won’t benefit any of us if I expound further on Parda topic.

Coming to the main point:

Some acts are innately religious (like Azan, Prostration, Ruku, reciting Quran, prayers etc.) meaning they do not need any interpretation to categorize them as religion; every one knows that these are religious acts by merely observing them. These independent religious acts when given a form of ritual like Salah (which involves Quran recitation, Prayers, Prostration, Ruku all combined), they become religion as well. And only a Prophet has this authority to give form to such rituals and they will be observed in exact form as given by the Prophet Himself. When someone himself starts a ritual like this (e.g. Azan in new born’s right ear and iqamat in the left), then in the absence of evidence from the Prophet (sws), it will be categorized as Biddat. Merely giving it name of tradition won’t cut it, since it involves independent religious acts given a form of ritual without any basis.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member May 13, 2022 at 3:35 pm

Very nicely explained sir. Thank you🙏🏻.

• Abdul Qadir

Member May 4, 2022 at 11:30 pm

ASLAMOALYKM brother , no brother it is not sunnah it is traditional activity

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register