Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 65:2-3 In The Context Of Depression

• Quran 65:2-3 In The Context Of Depression

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on May 22, 2022 at 7:46 pm

Asalamualaikum,

And whoever is mindful of Allah, He will make a way out for them, and provide for them from sources they could never imagine. And whoever puts their trust in Allah, then He ˹alone˺ is sufficient for them. Certainly Allah achieves His Will. Allah has already set a destiny for everything.

Are there any points that someone experiencing depression can takeaway from the above verse, if at all? I read over Ghamidi Sahab’s tafsir, but I was hoping that I could get a more detailed answer. On a side note, is there an English transcript on Ghamidi Sahab’s video on depression in the works? Some of the urdu is a bit difficult to follow.

JazakAllah

Haseeb Faisal replied 1 year, 9 months ago 2 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Quran 65:2-3 In The Context Of Depression

Haseeb Faisal updated 1 year, 9 months ago 2 Members · 14 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator May 23, 2022 at 3:09 pm

The context is very specific here which is explanation of the fact that in cases of divorce it is not lawful to expel one’s wife from the house by uttering the divorce sentence; it is necessary that the proper way pointed out by the Quran be adopted. People who, inspite of their financial difficulties, set out to observe the limits set by Allah with a view to please Him, shall receive His special help and assistance. Those who will not observe the limits set by Him because of their lust for wealth shall only wrong their own souls.

However, it can be also inferred from these verses that wherever one is observing limits set by Allah despite apparent financial loss in any matter other than divorce, then there will be special help and assistance waiting for the one. The timing of that help is subject to Allah’s wisdom.

As far as discussion specific to the topic of depression is concerned, you may want to refer to the following threads/responses:

Discussion 58709 • Reply 58716

Discussion 58709 • Reply 58717

Discussion 1587

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 23, 2022 at 5:00 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi,

Just two follow-up questions.

1.) Can we infer that Allah SWT is speaking about any difficulty an individual is encountering and not just financial loss in these verses?

2.) Do you know whether a transcript for the following video is in the works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj9bl_tLFb8&t=1789s

• Umer

Moderator May 27, 2022 at 12:03 am

1) This requires more explanation just to understand the proper context. The institution of family is created by God and to prevent the sanctity of this institution, adultery has been prohibited. Another major thing which might become a hindrance in carrying out the responsibilities of the institution, is the finanacial domain. On one hand it has been made obligatory on men to takeup this responsibilty, on the other hand, they have been assured of financial assistance by God if they are fearful of the boundaries set by Him and have every intention to fulfil their responsibilities. One verse quoted by you above is addressing the very fear when it comes to divorce, similary there is another promise of financial assistance made in another verse envouraging Nikah:

وَأَنكِحُوا الْأَيَامَى مِنْكُمْ وَالصَّالِحِينَ مِنْ عِبَادِكُمْ وَإِمَائِكُمْ إِنْ يَكُونُوا فُقَرَاءَ يُغْنِهِمْ اللَّهُ مِنْ فَضْلِهِ وَاللَّهُ وَاسِعٌ عَلِيمٌ وَلْيَسْتَعْفِفْ الَّذِينَ لَا يَجِدُونَ نِكَاحًا حَتَّى يُغْنِيَهُمْ اللَّهُ مِنْ فَضْلِهِ

And marry those among you who are single, and those who have the capability for marriage among your slaves, male or female. If they are poor, Allah will give them means out of His grace: for Allah is ample-giving, and He knows all things. And let those who find not an opportunity for marriage keep themselves chaste, until Allah gives them means out of His grace. (Quran 24:32-33)

فَإِذَا بَلَغْنَ أَجَلَهُنَّ فَأَمْسِكُوهُنَّ بِمَعْرُوفٍ أَوْ فَارِقُوهُنَّ بِمَعْرُوفٍ وَأَشْهِدُوا ذَوَى عَدْلٍ مِنْكُمْ وَأَقِيمُوا الشَّهَادَةَ لِلَّهِ ذَلِكُمْ يُوعَظُ بِهِ مَنْ كَانَ يُؤْمِنُ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ وَمَنْ يَتَّقِ اللَّهَ يَجْعَلْ لَهُ مَخْرَجًا وَيَرْزُقْهُ مِنْ حَيْثُ لَا يَحْتَسِبُ وَمَنْ يَتَوَكَّلْ عَلَى اللَّهِ فَهُوَ حَسْبُهُ إِنَّ اللَّهَ بَالِغُ أَمْرِهِ قَدْ جَعَلَ اللَّهُ لِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدْرًا

[Divorce your wives in this very manner]. Thus when they approach the end of their waiting period, either take them back on equitable terms or part with them on equitable terms. And [whether you want to keep them or part with them, in both cases] call to witness two honest people from among you. And [O Witnesses!] Establish this testimony for God. It is this thing to which those are exhorted who believe in God and in the Last Day. And [if] those who fear God [encounter any difficulty], God will find a way out for them and will provide them from where they cannot even imagine. And those who put their trust in God, for them Allah is enough [to help them]. God is sure to bring about His designs. God has set a measure for all things.(Quran 65:2-3)

Therefore, primarily all such verses are in context of institution of family, which considering its importance in the society, God has made promises himself of financial assistance when faced with a difficult situation in familial matters like getting married and in case of divorce. So it can also be inferred for other familial situations similar to these. And indirectly. it can also inferred, that in other domains of life, if one is faced with a financial conundrum where one has to choose religious directive over something unethical let’s say, then one can hope for divine financial assistance from God in such scenarios as well. However, the primary promise should be seen in its proper context.

2) English transcripts for this series are not available. But gist of the discussion can be found in the excerpt of Amin Ahsan Islahi Sahab in the following response shared by Faisal Sahab:

Discussion 1587 • Reply 68015

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 27, 2022 at 7:37 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi for the very detailed response. It is a lot clearer for me now.

1) You wrote this: “if one is faced with a financial conundrum where one has to choose religious directive over something unethical let’s say, then one can hope for divine financial assistance from God.” One thing I’m wondering is that is it only with regards to a “financial” conundrum or can it be any kind of conundrum? For example, a social conundrum, such as – hypothetically speaking – refusing to partake in gatherings with haram (e.g., alcohol, lewdness, etc.) and affecting one’s social status in a company environment in that way.

2) JazakAllah. Yes, I read that article by Amin Ahsan Islahi Sahab. I was able to understand the vast majority of Ghamidi Sahab’s video. I think there were only a few words here and there that I wish I knew, so that I could grasp some of the finer ideas he discussed. But I guess I can always search them up online or wait for the English transcript to be posted. I try to watch the video regularly to internalize the points discussed by Ghamidi Sahab – do you think this is a good approach?

• Umer

Moderator May 28, 2022 at 8:45 am

1) A Muslim should always hope for that in every situation, but to be certain about something, we need clear evidence from the book of God. Also, we should not forget that primary principle at work is the principle of Ibtila (tests and trials), therefore divine assistance in every scenario would render the whole scheme reduntant. Sometimes maybe help can come in a spiritual way instead of any material help. But this is all subject to Allah’s wisdom and His overall scheme of tests and trials. It is through these tests, people who demonstrate perseverance and patience will be selected for God’s eternal paradise.

2) Sure, there’s nothing wrong with this approach.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 28, 2022 at 2:32 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi! It’s clear to me now.

• Umer

Moderator June 29, 2022 at 5:33 pm

I think this is also relevant in this context to some extent:

Please refer to the video below from 8:20 to 10:14

https://youtu.be/umEZ4vHi6BY?t=500

• Haseeb Faisal

Member July 1, 2022 at 9:32 am

Do you mind explaining what Ghamidi Sahab means when he says ‘haq’? Is he referring to giving someone their right, or abiding by the truth, or something else?

JazakAllah

• Umer

Moderator July 2, 2022 at 7:35 am

Haq‘ here in the context of ‘Hidayah‘ refers to being a true seeker of truth and pursuit of truth without any bias and prejudice.

And ‘Haq‘ in the context of ‘resources and blessings‘ refers to recognition of those blessings and fulfilling their right by being thankful to Allah for those blessings.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member July 4, 2022 at 7:48 pm

I’m going to watch the video again just to understand the points a bit more with the definitions that you’ve given me. But would you also mind giving me a brief summary of what was said in those two minutes just so I can be sure I haven’t misinterpreted anything? I’d really appreciate it!

• Umer

Moderator July 5, 2022 at 4:30 pm

If a person values and treasures his innate guidance regarding God, blessings and resources given to him in whatever form, whether less or more, whether financial or non-financial (in the form of kowledge etc.) — and he benefits from it and is grateful to his Lord for it, then it is practice of God that He will give more to the person. This doesn’t mean that one should not pray to God for ease in his hardships, rather it means that one should not have an attitude of complaining towards God.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member July 5, 2022 at 10:47 pm

So, the part where you wrote, “it is practice of God that He will give more to the person”. Is that to say the person will be given more in this world, or we cannot say that with certainty? It’s possible that the person will be given more in the eternal life exclusively?

• Umer

Moderator July 6, 2022 at 8:43 am

I was of view that Verse 14:7 used as reference point by Ghamidi Sahab was specific to Bani-Israel only, but here Ghamidi Sahab has used it as a Sunnat of Allah in this world and principally linked it with Law of Guidance and Error (Discussion 22255). Which entails that person will be given more in this world with certainty, depending upon his attitude towards God and towards resources provided to him.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member July 12, 2022 at 6:17 pm

That’s very interesting. I will try to find some time to look into these points.

The discussion "Quran 65:2-3 In The Context Of Depression" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now