Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Is Looking At Na-Mahram Women Completely Haram In Islam Even Without Any Lust?

• Is Looking At Na-Mahram Women Completely Haram In Islam Even Without Any Lust?

Posted by Jubair Ahmed on July 14, 2022 at 5:00 pm

Here are some hadiths that I want to question about:

Jarir said I asked the Apostle of Allaah(ﷺ) about an accidental glance (on a woman). He (ﷺ) said “Turn your eyes away.”

https://sunnah.com/abudawud:2148

Jarir b. ‘Abdullah reported:
    I asked Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) about the sudden glance (that is cast) on the face (of a non-Mahram). He commanded me that I should turn away my eyes.

https://sunnah.com/muslim:2159a

It was narrated from Ali bin Abi Talib (may God be pleased with him) that The Prophet (peace be upon him) said to him:“OAli, you have a treasure in Paradise and you are with two harns of this ummah. Do not follow one glance with another; you may be allowed the first but not the second.”

https://sunnah.com/ahmad:1373

Do these ahadith mean that looking at non mahram women is absolutely prohibited even when there isn’t any lust involved? Because accidental/sudden glance can’t be lustful as far as I know, yet still the Prophet (PBUH) ordered to turn the eyes away.

Jubair Ahmed replied 1 year, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Is Looking At Na-Mahram Women Completely Haram In Islam Even Without Any Lust?

Jubair Ahmed updated 1 year, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator July 15, 2022 at 12:33 am
    • Jubair Ahmed

Member July 15, 2022 at 6:04 pm

This only talks about the verse, not the hadiths

• Umer

Moderator July 17, 2022 at 6:11 pm

Ghamidi Sahab has discussed the matter from a principle stand-point in the light of Quran, after which all such ahadith can be understood properly. Ahadith are not absolute directives, they always come with coditions and boundaries defined by Quran and Sunnah and should be understood in their light.

To understand Ghamidi Sahab’s take on how to approach hadith corpus from an epistemological stand-point, you’re requested to please go through all the resources provided in the following response or at the very least, go through the text and videos provided under the heading “placement of Hadith in the overall framework of religion“:

Discussion 66135 • Reply 66162

Ghamidi Sahab writes in Meezan: (Source: Discussion 30301)

…”If women are present then the divine directive is that both the men and women present should restrain their gazes. The words used for this directive are يَغُضُّوا مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِمْ. If there is modesty in the gaze, and men and women refrain from feasting their eyes on the physical attributes of one another and ogling each other, then no doubt the purport of the directive stands fulfilled. The expression غَضِّ بَصَرْ does not mean that men and women should not look at each other or have to constantly stare at the floor while interacting with one another. It means to guard one’s gaze from taking undue liberty and to refrain from staring at one another. If this vigil on the eyes is not kept, then in the words of the Prophet (sws), this would be tantamount to adultery of the eyes. Once a person indulges in it, his sexual organ either fulfils the ultimate objective of what his eyes initiated or is unable to do so [3]. It is regarding this first accidental gaze about which the Prophet (sws) has directed the believers to turn it away.

Jarir ibn Abdullah reports that he asked from the Prophet (sws): “What if such a glance takes place suddenly?” The Prophet (sws) replied: “Immediately turn it away or lower it.” [4]

Once during the Prophet’s farewell pilgrimage when a lady from the Khatham tribe stopped the Prophet (sws) on his way, Fadl ibn Abbas started to stare at her. When the Prophet (sws) saw him, he caught hold of his face and turned it to the other side. [5]“…

____

[3].Al-Bukhari, Al-Jami‘ al-sahih, 1087, (no. 6243); Muslim, Al-Jami‘ al-sahih, 1157, (no. 6754).

[4]. Muslim, Al-Jami‘ al-sahih, 961, (no. 5644).

[5].Al-Bukhari, Al-Jami‘ al-sahih, 299, (no. 1855); Muslim, Al-Jami‘ al-sahih, 563, (no. 3251).

_____

For further detail on the said matter, please refer to the following link from 3:36 to 18:26 (English subtitles available)

Discussion 47826 • Reply 47838

• Jubair Ahmed

Member July 24, 2022 at 3:29 pm

Thank you sir for providing Javed Ghamidi sahib’s perspective on this. May Allah bless you

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register