Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Defecating / Urinating While Facing Or Giving Back To Qiblah

Tagged: 

• Defecating / Urinating While Facing Or Giving Back To Qiblah

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on October 31, 2022 at 1:42 pm

Hello there!

My question is that there is a Hadith that is quoted

Sahih al-Bukhari 394

Narrated Abu Aiyub Al-Ansari:

The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “While defecting, neither face nor turn your back to the Qibla but face either east or west.” Abu Aiyub added. “When we arrived in Sham we came across some lavatories facing the Qibla; therefore we turned ourselves while using them and asked for God’s forgiveness.”

https://sunnah.com/bukhari:394

Wherever i read this Hadith it was quoted by Hazrat Abu Ayub Ansari. So I guess it is only one tradition narrated, where prophet prohibits urination and defecation facing the qibla.

So i wanted to know that since this prohibition comes to us through Hadith, in what context was it said? And would it be a sin if a person does the thing mentioned above? And also i have some further questions which i would like to ask as you this thread continues

Umer replied 1 year, 4 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Defecating / Urinating While Facing Or Giving Back To Qiblah

Umer updated 1 year, 4 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 31, 2022 at 2:20 pm

Please see:

Discussion 2827

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member November 1, 2022 at 12:19 am

@faisalharoon Okay sir, so these are something of a mustahab nature right? The best thing to do so that in heart more and more veneration develops for it. Right?

There another Hadith that is narrated;

Sunan Abi Dawud 480

Abu Sa’id al-khudri said:

The Prophet (ﷺ) liked the twigs of the date-palm, and he often had one of them in his hand. He entered the mosque and saw phlegm in the wall towards qiblah and he scraped it. He then turned towards people in anger and said: Is any one of you is pleased to spit in his face? When any of you faces qiblah, he indeed faces his Lord, the Majestic the Glorious: the angels are at right side. Therefore, he should not spit on his right side or before him towards qiblah. He should spit towards his left side or beneath his foot. If he is in a hurry, he should do so-and-so. Describing it Ibn ‘Ajlan said: He should spit in his cloth and fold a part of it over the other.

https://sunnah.com/abudawud:480

But here we see that it is said in a negative manner and may suggest that it is something Haram, so question comes that why did this prohibition only came us through a Hadith?

• Umer

Moderator November 1, 2022 at 2:25 am

This is not a matter of halal & haram, but a matter of etiquettes of a mosque and Prophet (sws) is emphasizing on the same thing.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member November 3, 2022 at 4:35 am

@uq4454819 Sir so it means it was said to tell them etiquettes but not to tell them that it’s a sin etc? Right? It has nothing to do with a sin but with etiquettes.

• Umer

Moderator November 3, 2022 at 4:42 am

Correct.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register