Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Death After Long Illness And Suffering. Is It Martyrdom Or Something Other?

Tagged: , ,

• Death After Long Illness And Suffering. Is It Martyrdom Or Something Other?

Posted by Shah Alam on December 24, 2022 at 7:03 am

My father died after a long 6-7 year illness, too much suffering and high fever. 2-3 year back, he got paralysed and unable to speak think and take any decision. Between his illness, when he is little better, try to pray namaaz and usually read aayat e yunus a.s. (la illaala illa anta…). In his lifetime he always honest, god fearing but do some mistakes in anger. My question is thar, from last 2 year he is unable remember Allah or pray. And he bearing extreme level suffering and died. Someone say my father is martyr and got reward hereafter. Please clear this subject regarding martyrdom and why father had bear so much suffering

Umer replied 1 year ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Death After Long Illness And Suffering. Is It Martyrdom Or Something Other?

Umer updated 1 year ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator December 24, 2022 at 7:34 am

May Allah grant him him high place in jannah. Ameen

For question of martydom in case of illness, refer to Umer sb response here Discussion 16193 • Reply 16904

Life is a test. So suffering is part of it. there is no escaping it. Refer to Discussion 22229 for details

• Shah Alam

Member December 24, 2022 at 9:17 am

SSorry i m not get my answer regarding martyrdom. There is seven situation except died in battlefield, where someone call to martyr. Like died due to stomach illness, drowning, plague etc. But my father death cause not come in this list. I hope u understand my question

• Ahsan

Moderator December 24, 2022 at 10:59 am

As Umer sb mentioned ” whatever misery you suffer in any other journey in the way of Allah and die eventually, you will achieve the same rank as that of the one who is killed in war.”
    Only Allah know who is real martyr. it difficult to judge with limited knowledge.

• Umer

Moderator December 24, 2022 at 8:13 pm

Any suffering/disease/accident which makes a person lose his life in a painful manner, that will be a cause of forgiveness on the day of judgement for those sins which had potential to make one accountable and be punishable on the day of judgement (i.e. Major Sins). Provided that person was a good conscious muslim throughout his life. This forgiveness is in accordance with Quran 9:102. That suffering becomes ‘kaffara‘ (atonement) for those sins in this world.

For further details, please refer to the video below from 33:17 to 39:55

https://youtu.be/P6TAfLngBA0?t=1997

• Shah Alam

Member December 26, 2022 at 8:53 am

Now i m get trapped in between major sign and minor sign. I have never seen my father to do major sin, he was pious in his lifetime and adhere to principles but due to his uncontrolled anger he become so fiery and usually involve in hot conflict and overpowering, dictatorial with peoples on issues. I am totally confused why is it happened

• Umer

Moderator December 26, 2022 at 10:38 pm

You are getting confused over wrong issues here. It is not our domain to decide whether someone is a martyr in the eyes of God or not or how would God deal with someone who has already passed away. These matters are to be decided by God.

The good thing is that we have glad tidings for both minor and major sins.

Quran says that if a person is able to refrain from major sins during his lifetime, then its reward is that his minor sins will be forgiven by the Merciful Lord.

إِن تَجْتَنِبُواْ كَبَآئِرَ مَا تُنْهَوْنَ عَنْهُ نُكَفِّرْ عَنكُمْ سَيِّئَاتِكُمْ وَنُدْخِلْكُم مُّدْخَلاً كَرِيمًا

If you abstain from the major sins of what is being prohibited to you, We shall forgive your minor sins and shall make you enter a place of honour. (Quran 4:31)

Second glad tiding is for the major sins if committed by a good conscious muslim ever in his life, then death by such suffering/disease/accident becomes an immediate kaffara for those sins as decribed in the above reply.

You should also keep in mind that this world is created on the principle of ‘Ibtila‘ (tests and trials) which entails that every human being will be tested in one way or another in this world, some through a finanacial distress, some through health, some through matters of family etc., the list is endless indeed. And whoever shows patience and humility through these tests and is able to achieve the required Tazkiya, then that person will be successful on the day of judgement. Manner of death in this wolrd is also a part of this whole scheme of tests and trials. Therefore, your job as a son is to know that God always fulfils his promise and hope that He will shower his extra mercy on you father’s soul and you shoud keep praying for him instead of pondering over matters which you have no control of.

• Umer

Moderator April 13, 2023 at 5:05 pm

Please also watch:

https://youtu.be/LeDoHQrXbFY

The discussion "Death After Long Illness And Suffering. Is It Martyrdom Or Something Other?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now