Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Reason For Prohibition Of Weed In Islam?

Tagged: , ,

• Reason For Prohibition Of Weed In Islam?

Posted by Zuhair on December 25, 2022 at 4:47 pm

Why is weed considered haram? I mean I know the intoxicant factor, but according to many people, if done in moderation, it has helped many people mentally, they’re more happy, less stress, also acts as a pain killer, I’ve literally heard people say it has changed our lives positively. It’s also used as a medicine.

Faisal Haroon replied 1 year, 3 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Reason For Prohibition Of Weed In Islam?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 25, 2022 at 10:17 pm

In principle, to determine whether a thing is Halal or Haram, its medical benefits are not taken into account. If it is a real intoxicant, which means, it disturbs the senses as wine does, it is forbidden, and so is its consumption in a small quantity, as a preemptive measure, even if it does not create the same effect. However, if it is not an intoxicant, in the sense that it does disturb the sense as wine does, and it is like sleeping pills, then it cannot be called Haram.

It means that its effects have to be decided by the medical experts and by the conscience of the person.

• Umer

Moderator December 26, 2022 at 1:25 am

Please see for further details:

Discussion 33165

• Zuhair

Member December 26, 2022 at 8:33 pm

Ok, I understand loosing the senses part and I have asked many people who smoke weed and they say we don’t lose our senses and from alcohol you start behaving differently and you’re not aware of what’s happening around you etc but weed doesn’t have the same effect. You’re aware of whatever is happening around and you’re normal. Yes, when you’ve done alot, you do start laughing etc but you don’t lose your senses.

• Zuhair

Member December 26, 2022 at 8:37 pm

And just to add, that people say sleeping pills are more harmful and you actually lose senses but weed doesn’t have that effect (not as strong as sleeping pills)

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 26, 2022 at 9:26 pm

It is not possible for us to provide expert advice regarding toxicity of marijuana, however, a WebMD article suggests that overdoses can include the following side effects:

• Anxiety including panic attacks
    • Psychotic thinking
    • Hallucinations
    • Rapid heart rate and high blood pressure
    • Coordination issues

If this is correct then it should be considered as an intoxicant and should be avoided even in small quantities unless prescribed by a medical professional.

• Zuhair

Member December 27, 2022 at 1:19 pm

Also, is it true that you cant pray for 40 days after doing intoxicants (alcohol, weed etc)?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 27, 2022 at 4:09 pm

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register