Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Interpretation Of Quran In Literal Meanings Versus Symbolic Meanings

Tagged: ,

• Interpretation Of Quran In Literal Meanings Versus Symbolic Meanings

Posted by Shah Alam on January 16, 2023 at 9:51 pm

Surah 56:79 “

None touch it except the purified.”

Literal meaning is that one should do wudu before touch to quran and esoteric mean is only purified sould have to touch.

I am always not in wudu or not paak so if i took literal meaning its tough to me but if i take esoteric meaning it is easy for me.

Same as in surah 35:22

“And not equal are the living and the dead. Indeed, Allah causes to hear whom He wills, but you cannot make hear those in the graves.”

Literal meaning dead one in grave cant hear voice but its esoteric meaning is you cant make disbeliever to hear/listen your words becoz there hearts become dead on grave.

Here is Allah points to disbeliever more than dead one and esoteric meaning looks more strong. So if this case why cant we thought that dead one can hear voice of visitor.

Same as book of The alarm of doomsday by maulana wahiuddiin khan. Maulana sb ne sabko symbolic bataya he, jaise gog magog, dajjal mehndi, second coming of isa tou agar unki is symbolic nazariye ke saath aage badkar soche tou resurrection of dead from graves bhi symbolic hoga kya ?

Umer replied 1 year, 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Interpretation Of Quran In Literal Meanings Versus Symbolic Meanings

Umer updated 1 year, 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 16, 2023 at 11:09 pm

Your understanding or literal is not correct.

Inference of Wudu from the above verse is not literal but inferential. However, to us, it is not a correct inference. The verse tells about the angels who are purified and they could touch the Quran but Satans cannot touch it as it is the protected book. So it is not necessary to have Wudu to touch the Quran.

In the second case, the verse tells about the disbelievers, it says that they are as dead to listen to the Quran as the dead in their graves who do not hear anything. So it solves the problem anyways that deads are not capable to hear.

What is symbolic and what is literal, it depends not upon one’s discretion, but on the well-known rules and styles of language. The way Quran tells about such information is not symbolic.

Kindly as one question in one post.

Thanks

• Umer

Moderator January 21, 2023 at 3:53 pm

Please also refer to the following responses:

Discussion 52574 • Reply 52612

Discussion 71448 • Reply 71526

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register