Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and State State's Interference In People's Dressing Choices

• State's Interference In People's Dressing Choices

Posted by Ibtisam Arif on February 5, 2023 at 2:16 pm

Assalamualaikum.

I have been hearing lectures and I am aware of human free will and how sacred a human sees his own free will. The muslim state has 2 primary rules in terms of ibadat that it can enforce

Namaz and Zakat.

Other than that, state will prevent crime that is very obvious and has been role of every state formed. This comes under amar bin maroof and sahi al munkir and state will also educate people on it.

But my question is, what should be the behavior of state in where someone is doing a personal gunnah in public.

For example, a group of males or females going in public that are not wearing clothes. Or small clothes.

It is obvious that clothing is a personal choice and state can’t do anything against them. I am confused about this as I can’t find the right lecture to guide me too.

This question covers all the personal sins in public. Where does a start put a limit on personal freedom? I can dress and walk half naked. Will it be allowed in Muslim country?

Umer replied 1 year, 2 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • State's Interference In People's Dressing Choices

Umer updated 1 year, 2 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 5, 2023 at 3:27 pm

All forms of obscenity are munkar and a state has the right to step in and stop them.

• Ibtisam Arif

Member February 5, 2023 at 4:08 pm

So state can interfere in the things that have been labeled as haram as stated in Surah Al Araf along with the ibadat aspect of zakat and namaz as discussed in surah taubah.

I hope I am understanding in the right direction.

Jazakallah.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 5, 2023 at 6:46 pm

Not everything haram is under the jurisdiction of the state. Please watch the following video for a detailed explanation:

https://youtu.be/emgtJrcKGcs

• Umer

Moderator February 6, 2023 at 12:37 am

To under the issue in more detail, please refer to five part episodes (5-Parts) shared at the end of the following thread:

Discussion 62084

______

As for obscenity in the society and the state’s right to enforce a certain kind of dressing, you can refer to the following response of Ghamidi Sahab:

Please refer to the video below from 37:32 to 41:06

• Umer

Moderator February 6, 2023 at 1:28 am

New Episodes on the Topic:

(Part-1)

• Umer

Moderator February 6, 2023 at 1:29 am

(Part-2)

• Umer

Moderator February 6, 2023 at 1:29 am

(Part-3)

The discussion "State's Interference In People's Dressing Choices" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now