Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Cheating In Examination And Violation Of Haquq-ul-ibad

Tagged: ,

• Cheating In Examination And Violation Of Haquq-ul-ibad

Posted by muhammad saad on March 4, 2023 at 8:31 am

Suppose a person cheated lab examination of matric and fsc but he had no earned anything from the degree.

How that person can compensate?if he give back his degree back to board and asked them to cancel them?is it enough?

Or that person considered a crimnal of haqooq abad of all the people of all the world from the time when collage started even after cancellation of his degrees?

muhammad saad replied 1 year, 2 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Cheating In Examination And Violation Of Haquq-ul-ibad

muhammad saad updated 1 year, 2 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator March 7, 2023 at 6:50 am

As a principle, such practices involve an element of deception in them, therefore there is violation of haqooq-ul-ibad in them. And when such violations occur, in addition to asking forgiveness from Allah, every attempt should be made to make good any loss made to the aggrieved party. Because forgiveness in the sight of Allah in such matters is subject to forgiveness by the aggrieved party.

There can be circumstances where such a forgiveness is not possible in absolute sense from the aggrieved party directly for example, the aggrieved party has passed away or is unwilling to forgive, the aggrieved party is not a human being but an organization etc. etc. In such circumstances, we should try our best to make the amends with whatever resources available with us and if one was still unable to attain forgiveness in this world, then If our repentance and effort both were sincere then it can be hoped that Allah will intercede on behalf of that Muslim and convince the other person to forgive him on the day of judgement.

Since lab examination forms a very minor part of the examination as far as I know and people do not take it seriously, while the significant portion consists of written theory paper, therefore if major portion of the examination was done honestly without any cheating, then element of deception is also reduced proportionally. So if it were me, I would not consider giving back my degrees. But if someone actually does that, then this is very pious of them, additionally, it is not always necessary to return back the degrees, forgiveness can also be sought through other means, may be in some written form etc.

Bottomline is that a person should honestly weigh-in all the options and exhaust all the practical ones with honesty, and if done with honesty, then hopefully Allah will make a way for that person’s forgiveness on the day of judgement.

Please refer to the video below from 8:38 to 11:22

• muhammad saad

Member March 7, 2023 at 7:30 am

So brother it is indirect haq talfi like it was not that someone brought a grocery and i had stolen it it would be direct haq talfi.for example if i do robbery in a house.i had done direct haq talfi of that household and indirect haq talfi of all other people of who workhard to earn money.

There are two two option according to me of indirect haq talfi here.

1: one is a person get a higher job compartively with who had workhard so i had to do no job this haq talfi is not going to happen.

2:second as he taken his mark unlawfully so indirectly he has done haq talfi of other students so by cancellation of degree mean he score 0 marks in that exam which i think compensate this haq talfi all together in all sense.

I don,t think after compensation in that much extent there is any reason remain to take up this matter at judgement day.

@UmerQureshi brother i want your comment on this?

• Umer

Moderator March 8, 2023 at 9:50 am

Primarily it is a matter of deception, which was the real sin involved. This deception is against the institution organizing the examination, hence it results in violation of their trust. The rights of other students may be violated if one gets a job out of this degree thus minimizing their chances for the job. But after one gets a job on the basis of that degree, and with time one develops the necessary competence to perform the relevant job duties, then atleast the income stream of that person would be Halal. However, the initial act of deception would still be there and for its recompense, certain practicalities need to be observed as to what would be the most practical way to rectify for that mistake. For example, whether there is an already set precedent for such circumstances, and if not, whether that institution offers any advice in such circumstances. Usually such scenarios are impractical to implement, but if there is any way available for that, then more than good and one should opt it, and if there is no practical solution available then it will fall in the category where such a forgiveness from the aggrieved party is not possible to be sought in absolute sense despite the intention and the effort, for which sincere continuous repentance, making good any loss caused to the other party (if possible) and Infaq are the options available, on the hopes that they may result in forgiveness on the day of judgement.

Following thread will also be helpful in this regard:

Discussion 71106

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor March 8, 2023 at 9:00 am

This is a complicated situation.

Cheating on an exam to pass in the system of examinations that are not designed to test the student on his ability but on how much he can remember and copy. Passing an exam by cheating is not taking away someone else’s right. You bypassed the system for its inefficiencies. This is not haquq ul ibaad issue because you did not take someone else’s right to pass. They passed on their own marks and not compared to related to your marks. Please do not put yourself into more issues than necessary. I have thought about everything possible, as far as I can, and only then I give you advice. Continue to study and keep your degree.

You will eventually learn the thing you cheated on. So, if you retake the exam, then you will pass. Don’t hurt your parents and yourself. You will learn everything you need to know in time; hence, surrendering your degree is unnecessary. Surrendering your degree will not do anything for cheating for haquq ul ibaad because it is not the issue here. Overcompensating is not justice and is unfair to you and your parents. We cannot take out 5 marks or 15 marks and fail the test. We also cannot reject the exams we passed correctly, as there are other subjects as well. Cherry picking will not solve the problem but rather create many more problems.

• muhammad saad

Member March 8, 2023 at 10:01 am

@UmerQureshi its okay i have no plans to do job

• muhammad saad

Member March 8, 2023 at 10:32 am

@UmerQureshi brother one last follow up question

far as my understanding

usually there is no limit how many students can apply for a universty program?so there is hoqoq ul abad involve.

If that is not the case

Like 50 people can apply for a program i am one of them then i think i have taken place of one student who he eligible to apply so his haq is violated in this case.

My question is i have violated right of one person or all other person who were wishing to apply ?

Intellectually i think answer is one .as if god is al knowing it is for sure in his knowlege that who will be that 1 person who had applied if i was not a applicant.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register