Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Reciting The Quran Without Understanding

Tagged: 

• Reciting The Quran Without Understanding

Posted by Ali Zafar on March 16, 2023 at 2:31 am

My question is In reference to below hadith:

Sayyidatina Aisha r.a reported,” Whoever recites a letter from Allah’s Book, then he receives the reward from it and the award of ten the like of it. I do not say that Alif Lam Mim is a letter, but Alif is a letter, Lam is a letter, and Mim is a letter.”

So many Muslims make Quran recital part of their daily routine. It is an encouraged habit from young age. They do not necessarily understand the meaning but take good care in its proper recital with intention of pleasing Allah SWT and maintaining a relationship with his holy book.

Ghamidi Sahab has on few occasions has categorically remarked that such a practice has no spiritual benefit. If you are not reading with understanding then you might as well not bother at all.

I appreciate Quran is a book of guidance and should be treated as such. But it feels like restricting it’s purpose to guidance alone is taking away from its miracle. Surely it’s recital, where it’s said that Angels witness it, cannot be a lost cause just because one does not understand the language.

Kindly provide some feedback on this idea in light of the hadith mentioned.

Ali Zafar replied 1 year, 1 month ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Reciting The Quran Without Understanding

Ali Zafar updated 1 year, 1 month ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator March 16, 2023 at 6:02 am
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 16, 2023 at 10:40 am

Ghamidi Sahab… has categorically remarked that such a practice has no spiritual benefit…

In my knowledge, Ghamidi sahab has never denied the spiritual benefit or rewards for reading the Quran. However, he has repeatedly stressed that the real purpose of the Quran is so that we read it with understanding and act upon it.

• Ali Zafar

Member March 16, 2023 at 4:12 pm

Faisal Haroon I refer to the denial by Ghamidi Sahab in the following QnA video. His words are “certainly there is no benefit”. And then he continues to elaborate on the need to understand the language and meaning properly, which I do not deny, but I felt the recital alone is an act of worship which cannot be discounted so easily.

https://youtu.be/lawTDktXUdc

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 16, 2023 at 4:49 pm

He is denying any benefit of reading the Quran if one does not understand it. This is not a denial of spiritual benefits or the reward of Quran recitation. The main purpose of the Quran should be understood separately from its contingent benefits.

Hopefully the following video will make it clearer with an example.

https://youtu.be/HkCtxsGB6rA

• Umer

Moderator March 17, 2023 at 9:34 am

In order to understand the point of view of Ghamidi Sahab comprehensively, you are requested to please refer to the videos provided in the following thread:

Discussion 79624

• Ali Zafar

Member March 17, 2023 at 3:09 pm

JazakAllah for all your responses and guidance.

Ghamidi Sahab is always so logical in his statements but in this scenario I feel some further clarification could have helped for the lay person. Many other people have asked similar questions on the forum so I am not alone in this confusion.

My takeaway is that recitation has intrinsically some blessings/benefits and the individual should also strive to understand the meaning. Clearly a non-arab cannot recite and understand at the same time, so the process of understanding may happen after the recitation.

My mother recites Quran daily, and i did not have the heart to tell her she is wasting her time. She also spends time with the translation and understanding but this is a distinctly separate activity. I would like to think there is blessing in both.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register