Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia New Kind Of Insurance (Baltimore Equitable Insurance)

Tagged: , ,

• New Kind Of Insurance (Baltimore Equitable Insurance)

Muhammad Usman Khalid updated 1 year ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator March 24, 2023 at 1:58 pm

Inherently there is nothing wrong in the whole concept of Insurance. Activity of Insurance is primarily a permissible activity. Insurance is a sort of contract for mutual help in which people pay a fixed amount in installments. The purpose is that if any of them is inflicted with losses relating to their persons or their wealth, they are compensated from this pooled money in a prescribed manner. Insurance involves use of complex actuarial estimates on happening / non-happening of insurance triggering events and frequency of such happenings which give an estimate on how much will be expended on insurance claims.

Instances where primary activity of an organization is Halal but it also earns interest through term deposits in a bank or other investements in banks as part of its financial management plan, this would not render the primary activity prohibited unless the insurance company explicitly states or mentions that insurance claims would be paid out of interest income solely.

Please refer to the following responses of Ghamidi Sahab:

Discussion 62055 • Reply 62071

Discussion 62055 • Reply 62072

Discussion 80999 • Reply 81065

• Muhammad Usman Khalid

Member March 24, 2023 at 2:16 pm

JazakAllah for your response. Insurer terms and conditions seems very tempting where they will refund all the premiums paid over the life of the policy and reduce the deductible to zero over the years too. At this point, it seems that I would be consuming interest only to get coverage. My heart doesn’t want to settle and I will pass on that.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register