Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam What Is The Source Of Sunnah?

Tagged: 

• What Is The Source Of Sunnah?

Posted by Zeeshan Ali Khan on April 12, 2023 at 4:43 pm

Salam, i am asking this question after going through many videos of ghamidi sb explaining hadith and sunnah and also after going through his book meezan for this question. But i still can’t find full clarity.

I understand that sunnah is the actions of Prophet p.b.u.h. but whats are its sources how it is derived in this day and age.

Following are detials and examples for my question to give more clarity on what i am trying to ask.

Lets say there is an amal i see happening in muslim community, how do i confirm its sunnah. What are the list of sources i turn to im such situation.

The reason for this specific is tbecasue almost all ulema i hear say hadith is the only source of sunnah. If that is the case why there is a difference in hadith and sunnah. Is sunnah is a subset of hadith and is derived from very authentic type of hadith only? This is confusing for me. So i want to know the sources from where sunnah is exactly discovered from.

When ghamidi sb says that sunnah is the whole collective knowledge of ummah does it mean is it wriiten somewhere? We can see it today but how do we know for past times that what was the comman knowledge of ummah? Is it recorded separatly from hadith books. Do we read ulema or historians of past? Ghamdi also says sunnah is derived from established history so what is established history and where is it? Is it record in some other book than hadith.

I hope i am able to clear my confusion. And this is fundamental question i have on the sources of sunnah.

Umer replied 11 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • What Is The Source Of Sunnah?

Umer updated 11 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator April 12, 2023 at 8:25 pm

If you have read Meezan and watched Ghamidi sahab’s videos in this regard then please be reminded that Sunnah’s source is Prophet SAW himself. It was transmitted to the righteous companions of the Prophet, and from that point onwards, it was transmitted to every generation from the previous generations. For details, please see the text and watch the videos in the following thread:

Discussion 56177

• Umer

Moderator April 13, 2023 at 2:04 pm

Please also refer to the following discussion which covers all the pertinent discussions of Ghamidi Sahab on the topic of Sunnah and especially how to trace it:

Discussion 69585

In additon to this, please do follow the Response to 23 Questions Series where currently the topic of Sunnah is under discussion and moving forward, the principles of determining Sunnah and how to trace Sunnah will also be discussed in detail:

Discussion 79364

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register