Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Paying Someone's Fee To The University Directly Against A Fixed Charge

• Paying Someone's Fee To The University Directly Against A Fixed Charge

Posted by Hassan Farooq on May 11, 2023 at 2:35 pm

Asalam-o-Alikum,

I hope you are well. I need to ask you a serious question and I hope you can reply as it’s related to my earnings.

I work in a BNPL (by now pay later) company.

The company’s previous work domain included 2 things:

1) not charging customers but instead taking a percentage of sales from the seller. Custom is not charged anything, and customer pays back in 3 instalments. (I’m sure this is not riba)

2) Purchasing something and then selling it at a higher price but fixed price, no fine or penalties. For example, a mobile worth 500 usd, is sold to a customer for 550 usd for approx 184 usd for 3 months.

However, they have introduced a new domain where they pay a student’s (customer’s) fee directly to the university, (they don’t give cash to the customer), and in return the student (basically their parents) pay a fixed extra percentage. For example if the fee that company paid to university was 500 USD, student will have to return 550 USD (184 USD per month for 3 months). The time period is fixed, there is no additional charge, if the student is unable to pay, no extra charge is taken, timeline is extended, and in the worst case scenario legal proceedings are opened.

Is this halal? Is it similar to buying a product then selling it to the customer at an increased price at a pre-fixed agreement but without any hidden fines/charges?

Umer replied 10 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register