Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Psychedelics And The Nafs: Halal Or Haram In Islam?

• Psychedelics And The Nafs: Halal Or Haram In Islam?

Posted by Hamza Faheem on May 28, 2023 at 3:23 pm

Assalamu Alaikum,

I have a question regarding the role of Sufis and mystics in accessing the subconscious or ‘nafs’, and the potential similarity to the effects of psychedelics. Would the use of such substances for the intent of exploring our subconscious be considered Halal or Haram in Islam, according to Ghamidi Sahab’s understanding?

Jazak’Allah

Umer replied 11 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Psychedelics And The Nafs: Halal Or Haram In Islam?

Umer updated 11 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar May 29, 2023 at 5:14 am

It is the ethical or moral position of a thing or matter which makes something halal or haram. If such exploration is used for something good, this practice is halal, if used for something bad, then the practice will be haram. This is just like a scientific or medical exploration of the human body. its good is good, its bad is bad.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor May 29, 2023 at 8:07 am

How can it be bad? Doesn’t it cloud your aql like intoxicants. Surely at best this could be from the mushtabihaat.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar May 30, 2023 at 2:59 am

Sedatives are used in medical treatment, which does not make it haram especially when they are used for treatment. I do not know exactly the hypnotic nature of this way of treatment or connection with the subconscious, but we can decide its being lawful or unlawful on the basis of its use for good or bad. if there is something unhealthy or harmful then it is the human intellect that can decide to allow or disallow it.

• Hamza Faheem

Member May 29, 2023 at 5:46 am

Thank you for your reply. I think I heard Ghamidi sahb say that there might be involvements of Jinns in that world. Considering this, are you aware of any potential risks or dangers associated with such adventures/explorations?

• Ahsan

Moderator May 29, 2023 at 6:44 am

I happened to talk to a person who used psychedelics for spiritual exploration. They told me that this practice should be done under proper guidance and protection. According to them, a person died by jumping out of window during the episode apparently in an attempt to fly.

• Umer

Moderator May 30, 2023 at 9:05 am

In my understanding, psychedelic and hallucinogenic drugs fall in the same domain as intoxicants since they affect all the senses, altering a person’s thinking (state of consciousness), sense of time and emotions. Therefore, they should not be used unless there is some complusion (iztirar) like medical need.

Please refer to the video below from 54:57 to 56:23

https://www.youtube.com/live/6SCyMGzHsxA?feature=share&t=3297

___

As for pursuing such adventures/explorations, Ghamidi Sahab is of view that we should stay away from these endeavours because more likely than not a person will fall in the wrong hands (i.e. Jinns) and becomes a victim of pseudo-reality.

Please refer to the following responses by Ghamidi Sahab where these points have been discussed at length:

Discussion 45187 • Reply 45196

Discussion 45187 • Reply 45197

Discussion 45187 • Reply 45198

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register