Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Hajj-i-Tamatto After Perfomring Umrah In The Last Month & Concluding The Journey

Tagged: ,

• Hajj-i-Tamatto After Perfomring Umrah In The Last Month & Concluding The Journey

Posted by Mansoor Hafeez on June 23, 2023 at 4:56 am

I am living in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. I did Umra in Dhul Qad and came back to Riyadh. Now I am going for Hajj and would like to do Tamattu type. I would like to know if I have to perform Umra again as I didn’t stay in Mecca after Umra and came back to Riyadh OR my Umra that I did last month can be considered as Umra for Hajj Tamattu?

Regards

Mansoor Hafeez

Umer replied 10 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Hajj-i-Tamatto After Perfomring Umrah In The Last Month & Concluding The Journey

Umer updated 10 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Umer

Moderator June 23, 2023 at 11:48 pm

Hajj-i-Tamatto is performance of Umra and Hajj in one journey. Since you concluded your journey of Umrah, that would be considered as separate Umrah. Now, you have option to either perform Hajj only or choose to perform Umrah with Hajj in the same journey (known as Hajj-i-Tamatto). This relaxation is available to those who have come from outside (outside of boundaries of Haram). The way to do this is that they should first take off the ihram after offering the umrah. Then they should again put it on the eighth of Dhu al-Hajj and then offer hajj. This is a mere concession which the Almighty has provided the pilgrims to save themselves of the bother of two journeys. Thus they will atone for benefiting from this concession. There are two ways for this:

They should offer the sacrifice of whatever animal is available to them from a camel, cow or goat. [It must be kept in mind that The Qurbani of Hajj is separate (but optional) from the Qurbani of Hajj-i-Tamatto (which is farz). Please see: Discussion 83798]

If this is not possible, then they should fast for ten days: three during their hajj stay and seven when they return.

It is pleasing in the sight of God that one should make separate journeys for hajj and umrah. Thus the Quran has clarified that this lenience is not for those whose houses are near the Sacred Mosque:

فَإِذَا أَمِنتُمْ فَمَن تَمَتَّعَ بِالْعُمْرَةِ إِلَى الْحَجِّ فَمَا اسْتَيْسَرَ مِنَ الْهَدْيِ فَمَن لَّمْ يَجِدْ فَصِيَامُ ثَلاثَةِ أَيَّامٍ فِي الْحَجِّ وَسَبْعَةٍ إِذَا رَجَعْتُمْ تِلْكَ عَشَرَةٌ كَامِلَةٌ ذَلِكَ لِمَن لَّمْ يَكُنْ أَهْلُهُ حَاضِرِي الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ وَاتَّقُواْ اللّهَ وَاعْلَمُواْ أَنَّ اللّهَ شَدِيدُ الْعِقَابِ

Then in peacetime anyone among you who benefits from the umrah till the time of hajj arrives, he should sacrifice any animal that is available; and if it is not available, he should fast for three days during the hajj and seven when he has returned. These are ten days in all. This [concession of combining hajj with umrah in a single journey] is only for those whose houses are not located near the Sacred Mosque. [Follow this directive] and have fear of God and know well that God is stern in retribution. (Excerpt from Quran 2:196)

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register