Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Copyrighted Content On Youtube

Tagged: ,

• Copyrighted Content On Youtube

Posted by Saad Aamir on June 29, 2023 at 8:16 am

There is an issue of entire shows and movies being uploaded on Youtube. Obviously they are copyrighted but generally Youtube contacts the copyright owner and the owner either requests Youtube to take the video down or allow it with ads removed or any revenue generated given to the owner rather than uploader.

Now I am refering to videos that are years old and I assume the copyright dispute have been settled on these videos (surely someone has reported them in all those years right?) but this information is not transparent for the viewers.

So my question is, is it immoral for a Muslim to watch content on Youtube when it is not clear that said content is allowed there by the copyright owners’ permission?

Ahsan replied 10 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Copyrighted Content On Youtube

Ahsan updated 10 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator June 30, 2023 at 2:47 am

As a viewer, you are not responsible for the violation of copyright as long as you do not sell or distribute the material.

• Saad Aamir

Member June 30, 2023 at 4:01 am

Right but Faisal Sahab and Dr.Irfan (his last two responses in second discussion) argues that it is immoral to engage with content (like buying it) when you know the content is against copyright even if you are not selling or distributing it.

Discussion 56011
      Discussion 76793

My issue is that, I am not sure as a consumer, if the concerned content is against copyright or not.

• Ahsan

Moderator June 30, 2023 at 4:37 am

In the threads, you shared they are talking about selling or buying. However, on YouTube you are just watching it. Hence, no responsibility.

You dont need to worry about it as youtube is the buyer and seller and legally responsible to take care of it.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register