Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Confusions Related To Meaning Of Durood-e-ibrahimi

• Confusions Related To Meaning Of Durood-e-ibrahimi

Posted by Nadia Khan on August 1, 2023 at 8:31 am

1. Can you please guide me on what it means when we ask Allah to honor and bless hazrat Muhammad’s family? Is it the whole ummah that is his family or his actual descendants? If the latter, then are we praying for all syeds in general? If yes, then how can we be sincere in this prayer when not all Syed’s deserve it? Isn’t every person to be judged by their action and not their lineage?

2. In the below translation what do the words ‘as you honored/blessed Ibrahim and his family’ mean? I understand hazrat Muhammad is also Hazrat Ibrahim’s progeny through Ismail so why do we make a separate comparison to Hazrat’s Ibrahim’s family when Hazrat Muhammad is also his family.

3. Why do we assume Hazrat’s Ibrahim’s family was blessed when it may include many who were not good people and should not have been blessed/honored?

Thank you very much

(Below is the Translation I referred to):

“My God, honor Muhammad and Muhammad’s family as you honored Abraham and Abraham’s family Surely, you are praiseworthy, the Great My God, bless Muhammad and Muhammad’s family as you blessed Abraham and Abraham’s family”

Umer replied 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Confusions Related To Meaning Of Durood-e-ibrahimi

Umer updated 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Umer

Moderator August 1, 2023 at 11:00 pm

This is a prayer from us for our Prophet (sws) as a show of affection and love for our prophet. Whenever we give prayers to our loved ones, we at times, include them and their family in our prayers. This prayer is also for the Prophet (sws) and his family (the immediate family of Prophet Muhammad (sws) also called ‘Khandan‘ in urdu). This does not include all the descendants till now. Consider it limited to the same extent of family, which we would apply in today’s scenario if we were to give someone and their family prayers of God’s blessings. The same would be the case for Aal-e-Ibrahim.

However, there is definitely room in the word ‘aal‘ to be applied to the whole progeny, the argument which some people use. If this this argument is also taken into consideration, then first thing as a principle has been clarified by Quran itself:

وَإِذِ ابْتَلَى إِبْرَاهِيمَ رَبُّهُ بِكَلِمَاتٍ فَأَتَمَّهُنَّ قَالَ إِنِّي جَاعِلُكَ لِلنَّاسِ إِمَامًا قَالَ وَمِن ذُرِّيَّتِي قَالَ لاَ يَنَالُ عَهْدِي الظَّالِمِينَ

And recall when Abraham was put to trial by His Lord in a few things and he fulfilled them. He said: ‘I have decided to appoint you the leader of mankind.’ ‘And what of my descendants?’ asked Abraham. ‘My covenant,’ said He ‘does not apply to the evil-doers.’ (Quran 2:124)

Therefore, when we pray for Aal-e-Ibrahim, it is understood that it only includes those who were true to their lord and fulfilled their pacts and covenants with the Lord. This does not include Jews of today’s time. Since Aal-e-Ibrahim were given special status of Shahdah (For details: Discussion 61624 • Reply 61679), first Bani-Israil and later it was given to Bani-Ismail. Therefore, Prayer is only for the pious ones both among the progeny of Prophet Abraham (sws) and of Prophet Muhammad (sws), specifically those who fulfilled their duty of Shahdah.

Saying peace and blessing on Prophet Abraham (sws) and His progeny cover it all but the reason that Prophet Muhammad (sws) and His Progeny are mentioned separately has some literary and historical significance. Prophet Abraham (sws) holds a special status of Imamat while Prophet Muhammad (sws) holds the special status of culminating the Abrahamic tradition to its final form till the day of judgement. Therefore, mentioning of both the start and the end separately covers the whole of the second phase of prophethood beautifully.

__

Please also refer to the video below:

https://youtu.be/VhMX7ymXpCk

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register