A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Using Pirated Copy Of Microsoft Windows

Tagged: ,

• Using Pirated Copy Of Microsoft Windows

Abdul Sattar Ahmed updated 6 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 19, 2023 at 2:29 pm

Microsoft does not directly sell the product anymore in order to promote the newer version. It does not mean that the product is now in public domain. Pirated software breaches the End User License Agreement (EULA) that you agree to when installing the software, and breach of contracts is impermissible in Islam. Also pirated software can contain malware which can cause you problems down the road. There are legal ways to use Windows for free or for very cheap. Please research and use the best option available to you.

How to Get Windows 11 or Windows 10 for Free (or Under $20) | Tom’s Hardware

• Samama Fahim

Member September 20, 2023 at 1:02 pm

Even if you download Windows 10 from Microsoft’s website, Microsoft License Terms say: “You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed”. This means skipping the product key step is not acceptable either.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 20, 2023 at 1:38 pm

👍

• Samama Fahim

Member September 20, 2023 at 3:50 pm

This link https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/get-windows-10-free-or-cheap,5717.html suggests a way to use Windows by skipping the product key step. But, why would Microsoft let you skip it in the first place if they don’t want you to use it without it being properly licensed?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 20, 2023 at 3:58 pm

I don’t know. You should research on your own to make sure that you are in compliance. I shared that link as a starting point that might help you. It does not mean that I endorse everything that the article suggests.

• Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member October 12, 2023 at 9:36 am

For breaches of EULA I would make the argument that if the breach of EULA violates the right of the developers like in this case of pirated software, then yes it is wrong.

However on face value it seems that a lot of the terms in the software EULAs seem to be invasive and oppressive to the rights of end users and in this case, the doctrine of fair use exists to protect our rights. Also EULAs are open to interpretation too.

For example if I buy a particular software and the EULA prohibits reverse engineering the software. This reverse engineering makes sense to the extent that if I reverse engineer the software and then distribute it or sell it then it is wrong but if I buy the software reverse engineer it for fun or recreation or otherwise and keep the reverse engineered copy strictly to myself, then that’s fine as it is not affecting anyone else and falls under fair use.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 12, 2023 at 10:20 am

Concerns regarding the fairness or the interpretation of the End User License Agreement (EULA) of a given software product does not give one the right to violate the EULA. The proper course of action in such matters is to try to address your concerns with the vendor. If that does not resolve the issue then you have the right to either not use the product, or to pursue a legal recourse.

• Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member October 12, 2023 at 10:47 am

Yes. But but different countries have laws like fair use (USA) and fair dealing (Canada) which are there to protect interests (at least commercial ones) of all parties when it comes to copyrighted things.

I started a similar discuss thread earlier this year related to this issue you can check that out if you’d like:-

Discussion 85678

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 12, 2023 at 11:11 am

The Fair Use provision in the copyright law allows for limited use of copyrighted material without the copyright holder’s permission. This, however, does not legalize software piracy, as using copyrighted software without proper licensing or authorization usually does not fall under fair use. Software piracy is illegal as it results in copyright infringement.

• Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member October 12, 2023 at 11:34 am

With that I 100% agree with you as piracy i) in almost all cases robs the author of their rightful revenue ii) otherwise involves unfair and unconsented distribution of copyright material which only the author has authority to do irregardless whether that particular software or file is on the market or not.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register