Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Ustad-e-Mohtaram On The Rivalry Between Hz. Ali (rta) And Hz. Muawiyah (rta)

• Ustad-e-Mohtaram On The Rivalry Between Hz. Ali (rta) And Hz. Muawiyah (rta)

Posted by Muhammad Sami ud-Din on October 27, 2023 at 8:22 am

Asselamu aleykum,

I tried to watch the series of Ustad-e-Mohtaram (ha) on the disagreement between Hadhrat Ali (rta) and Hadhrat Muawiyah (rta), but, was unable to watch it fully, as it was too long. So, My question is, What is the opinion of Ustad-e-Mohtaram (ha) on the disagreement between the two companions of Rasul Allah (saw) in short?

Umer replied 6 months, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Ustad-e-Mohtaram On The Rivalry Between Hz. Ali (rta) And Hz. Muawiyah (rta)

Umer updated 6 months, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 28, 2023 at 3:23 am

That was a political disagreement which needs to be seen in the perspective of political and social realities of the time. It must not confused with Deen.

• Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member October 28, 2023 at 5:38 am

Regarding the query, I have some questions;

• Was Hadhrat Muawiyah (rta) righteous, according to Ustad-e-Mohtaram (ha)? If so, then why he accused Hadhrat Ali (rta) and even the other companions, including the Ansars (rta) of killing Hadhrat Uthman (rta), despite Hadhrat Uthman (rta) was such a friend of Hadhrat Ali (rta), who helped him giving mahr to Hadhrat Fatima (rta), the daughter of Prophet (sav). And I have also heard that, either Hadhrat Hasan (rta) or Hadhrat Husayn (rta) were injured in protecting Hadhrat Uthman (rta).
    • Why Ustad-e-Mohtaram (ha) [like Mevlana Maududi, ra] believes that Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr (rta) and Malik al-Ashtar (rta) were the murderers of Hadhrat Uthman (rta). They were only the opponents of Hadhrat Uthman (rta). Suspecting them of killing Hadhrat Uthman (rta) would be wrong. Even, Hadhrat Aisha (rta) opposed the policies of Hadhrat Uthman (rta). That does not make someone a killer.
    • In short videos, I have seen Ustad-e-Mohtaram (ha) said that Bukhari 2812 was the combination of the two incidents. But, There are also other short traditions in which Prophet (sav) predicted that he will be killed by an rebellious group, on calling them to heaven. Some nawasibs have falsely accused Hadhrat Ali (rta) of killing Hadhrat Ammar ibn Yasir (rta), himself. But, the prophet (sav) have clearly said that “calling them to paradise” and Hadhrat Ammar (rta) was martyred on opposing Hadhrat Muawiyah (rta).
    • This hadith was even represented to Hadhrat Muawiyah (rta), which he denied.
    • Why Hadhrat Muawiyah (rta) and the other Umayyads used to curse Hadhrat Ali (rta) on mimbers?
    • Why all senior companions of Prophet (sav) openly supported Hadhrat Ali (rta), If Hadhrat Muawiyah (rta) was really righteous?

Kindly clarify these queries, Thanks.

• Shaharyar Sabeeh

Member October 31, 2023 at 1:09 am

Assalamualaikum!

Having watched the whole series and following the latest ones, I might try to give some input as per my understanding:

(1) No. Ghamidi Saheb has never categorically stated that Hz Muawiyah was the righteous one in the issue whereas the Hz Ali was politically (or even in any other sense) wrong. He just requests people again and again to understand both sides, keep a husn e zan about them, and try not to draw explicit and strict opinions.

(2) Ghamidi Saheb doesn’t explicitly believe them to be killers. What he says is that these two people are the ones about whom, based on the availability of historical narrations, we can point out and fear the maximum involvement in the murder.

(Blaming anyone today of such a heinous crime that happened 1300 yrs ago, is a difficult thing to do).

(3) Bukhari 2812 will hopefully be discussed in detail later by Ghamidi Saheb. If you are curious about this narration, you can watch the videos of Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Zubair available on YouTube.

(4) On the issue of cursing Hazrat Ali on mimbers, please watch the latest episode of Ghamidi Saheb in the ongoing 100 questions series. In short, they didn’t use to curse them. These are words of choice by some specific narrators. The exact Arabic of the word ‘Sabb’ is also discussed in the series.

(5) I would disagree that all the senior companions supported Hazrat Ali. According to my knowledge, most of the senior Sahaba practiced neutrality i.e went in gosha nasheeni. But still I have more research to do on this topic.

I hope it helps.

Jazak Allah.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 30, 2023 at 12:24 am

All these points are discussed in the video lectures in detail. To reproduce the whole stuff here would be a replication. You are advised to satisfy your curiosity by watching the series and if there left anything unanswered you can ask here.

• Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member October 30, 2023 at 5:39 am

Can you please provide me the full video part, where Ustad-e-Mohtaram (ha) discussed about Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr and Malik al-Ashtar, I don’t know that part.

• Umer

Moderator November 2, 2023 at 5:00 am

Please refer to the following video for discussion on Muhammad Bin Abi Bakr and Malik al-Ashtar:

Discussion 86227 • Reply 86258

• Umer

Moderator November 6, 2023 at 12:07 am

Please also refer to the video below from 1:12 to 10:12

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 31, 2023 at 12:14 am

In the latest part 5 of 100 questions on this issue you can find a reference to them

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register