Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Are Chickens Halal?

• Are Chickens Halal?

Umer updated 10 months ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • Munnoo Khan

Member April 7, 2021 at 6:38 pm

If most of the feed is pure, it is permissible to eat it, and there is nothing wrong with that.

But if most of its feed is naajis (impure) — this is what the scholars call “an animal that feeds on filth” — it is not permissible to eat unless it has been detained and fed with taahir food that will make its meat good.

Source: https://islamqa.info/en/answers/149059/ruling-on-eating-chicken-that-was-fed-hormones-or-ground-meat

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 7, 2021 at 6:39 pm

I am speaking specifically about Ghamidi sahab’s entire methodology of what he considers tayyib and khabeeth

• Munnoo Khan

Member April 7, 2021 at 6:40 pm

No problem! Wait for response from admin.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 7, 2021 at 6:42 pm

Thank you very much for your prompt replies with the common view though

• Umer

Moderator April 8, 2021 at 4:42 am

It is not just the meat eating habit, it is presence/absence of Beastly and Non-Beastly nature which clearly distinguishes halal from haram.

Also Pigs don’t just eat meat, they eat meat in a beastly way.

Just for reference:

Discussion 26077

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 29, 2021 at 6:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1EfbyuxFu0

Who is to say whether this chicken is eating in a predatory manner or not? Who is to say? Is this not beastly?

• Yusha ibn ghaffar yusha

Member December 29, 2021 at 8:50 pm

because chickens by nature are not predators.

predators posses front eyes like humans, while prey dont.

by nature they are not predators but, they do consume eat.

unlike eagle whos nature is to hunt and feed himself.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor December 29, 2021 at 8:54 pm

Some predators may have binocular vision but that doesn’t mean that if an animal doesn’t have that type of vision then they are not predators.

Chickens will hunt animals if you let them loose.

Chickens are hypothesised to have descended from dinosaurs which wouldn’t have had binocular vision. Neither do orca whales that are predators neither do sharks or snakes or crocodiles .

Here’s a short thread about this: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-modern-carnivores-have-eyes-facing-the-front-while-carnivorous-dinosaurs-had-eyes-on-the-side

• Kausar Mehmood

Member January 18, 2022 at 1:00 pm

I was asked the exact same question by a non muslim friend. I couldn’t answer and now have the exact same doubt. Waiting for someone to answer this. I am pretty sure that chickens devour rats and other things in a very beastly manner. So why do we say they are not predatory by nature? Thats their nature and it looks pretty predatory.

• Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member June 27, 2023 at 3:19 pm

Wow! I knew they were omnivores in the sense they would eat plants and maybe bugs etc. But the thought of chicken eating mice is 🤢. I wonder then what about field mice (not rats) who feed on only vegetation and don’t have “darinda” behavior of tearing apart their prey. Can they be considered halal?

• Umer

Moderator June 27, 2023 at 11:58 pm

Such dubious scenarios not explicitly clear are left to the individual preference under mushtabihat category.

Please see for further details:

Discussion 47843 • Reply 47886

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register