Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Prohibition On Portraits And Drawings Specific To Muslims?

• Prohibition On Portraits And Drawings Specific To Muslims?

Posted by Taimur Mughal on September 20, 2022 at 10:20 am

Ghamdi saab mentions that prophet Solomon used to build status of angels and other creatures mentioned in Quran ,

And he explains the hadiths as well,

My question is , could it be not so that like Sajda was allowed in previous Sharia of Prophets like Jacob and other prostrated to Yusuf (as) But now that Tazimi Sajda is forbidden in the Sharia of our beloved Prophet [saw] Similarly drawing and statue making of living creatures was allowed in their Sharias But Not in the last Sharia???

Can someone explain This?

Thank you.

Umer replied 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Prohibition On Portraits And Drawings Specific To Muslims?

Umer updated 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • Nadeem Minhas

Member September 20, 2022 at 10:29 pm

In my personal opinion the statues, drawings or pictures and other art forms are allowed in Islam.

I think religious leaders and scholars discouraged them in fear that people illiterate in Islam my use statues and pictures to commit shirk; just like Christians have started doing so.

In my opinion no picture or statue should be created of prophets nor can they be created as we do not have any originals. Similarly none can be created for angels or Allah as no one has seen them.

• Umer

Moderator September 21, 2022 at 10:17 am

The premise is not correct.

Prostration mentioned in Quran 12:99-100 does not refer to the one which is done before God; it refers to bending down in the form of kneeling. Showing respect for elders in this manner is a very ancient tradition. In Arabic, the word سَجَدَ is commonly used in this meaning. It is specified by the Bible and the Talmud that the ceremonial prostration was also prohibited in the shariah of the Israelites the way it is in ours.

Please see for further details:

Discussion 30611

• Umer

Moderator September 21, 2022 at 10:22 am

Seerah of Sahaba also tell us that they never destroyed any statue beyond arabian peninsula.

Please refer to the following response by Ghamidi Sahab:

Discussion 71723 • Reply 71782

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register