Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Most Accurate Translation Of The Quran

Tagged: ,

• Most Accurate Translation Of The Quran

Posted by Abdullah Zeeshan on February 4, 2023 at 5:51 pm

My intention is to study The Qur’an and I am following the advice given by Ghamidi Sahab where he said that in the first round we should take a simple translation of The Qur’an and study it with a clear mind without any biases or influences, later on indulging in Tafseers.

The choice of the translation is subjective to the person and my criteria is to get a translation which closely resembles with the words of The Qur’an in its originality. I have observed within the translations I browsed that the meaning is lost here and there and is not in its original form (I am no expert but just my observation as a layman).

For example: the word “متقین” literally means “the one who acquires Taqwa” which is translated as “the one who fears God” instead of its original meaning , where Taqwa is considered as being fearful, which is just one interpretation of acquiring Taqwa.

So I am in search of such a translation.

Thanks in advance.

Abdullah Zeeshan replied 1 year, 2 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Most Accurate Translation Of The Quran

Abdullah Zeeshan updated 1 year, 2 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator February 5, 2023 at 8:58 am

To understand the word in context, you cannot simply take just dictionary meaning. It depends on the use of those people in the conversation.
    Refer to the following threads for a better understanding of the point.

Discussion 57731

Discussion 44668

Discussion 53061 • Reply 53070

• Ahsan

Moderator February 5, 2023 at 9:03 am

I have read 5 different translations, I didn’t find any major differences in translation. So any translation in your mother tongue is good enough. If its Urdu, you can start with Junagadhi translation, ALbayan or tafheem ul quran. In English, Pickthal, Sahih international, Molana Waheed or taqi usmani, Mohaamd Asad translation. They are all good options.

• Afia Khan

Member February 5, 2023 at 9:44 am

Br. Ahsan, I think you mean AlBayan by Ghamidi Sahab.

I find Hafiz Nazar Ahmad’s Urdu translation very helpful for word to word and running translation. But words like Taqwa have so many interpretations and understandings. Majority translated these words according to their uses.

• Abdullah Zeeshan

Member February 5, 2023 at 10:01 am

Doesn’t Hafiz Nazar Sahab’s translation go against the following two points:

1. Word to word translation tends to lose the context.

2. Language is not logical.

Please enlighten me.

• Afia Khan

Member February 5, 2023 at 10:10 am

For learning the language of Quran I found word to word translation very helpful. No one can translate the ayah without understanding the words first, but then have to see the use of the word in the context of the ayah and Surah.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 5, 2023 at 10:13 am

The Arabic word “متقینcan be translated as those who fear of God or those who are God consciousness. This fear is not in the connotation of fright or terror, but it refers to a strong sense of caution or concern about one’s actions in reference to the outcome. It can be further understood in the sense of knowing one’s boundaries with respect to God and trying to follow a strict discipline to respect those boundaries.

For further understanding of taqwa please watch the following video from 1:44 to 4:02:

With that said, any translation that you find easy to follow shall suffice in order to comprehend God’s message. Al-Bayan translation is very good, both in Urdu as well as English. I also like Muhammad Asad’s English translation.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 5, 2023 at 10:14 am

For Ghamidi sahab’s comments in this regard please see:

Discussion 56147 • Reply 56151

• Afia Khan

Member February 5, 2023 at 12:41 pm

I also like Asan Quran.

• Abdullah Zeeshan

Member February 5, 2023 at 10:22 pm

Just dropping a few closing remarks to end this thread.

Thanks @codename.AJK , @faisalharoon , @Afia .

I have decided to go with Ghamidi Sahab’s plain Urdu translation after reviewing all the threads (and sub-threads) mentioned above.

That seems like the best first source I can build my foundation on. It is at the sweet perfect spot, covering minor gaps found in most translations without entering into tafseer mode.

Jazak’Allah

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register